Calculation of the Berry connection for a 2x2 Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of the Berry connection for a 2x2 Hamiltonian in polar coordinates. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian are given, but there seems to be an error in the expression for one of the eigenvectors. The expert suggests that the eigenvalues should not depend on ##r## and that the expression for the eigenvector may be incorrect.
Silicon-Based
Homework Statement
Calculate the Berry connection
Relevant Equations
$$
A_R = i\langle \psi | \nabla_R| \psi \rangle
$$
This isn't technically a homework problem, but I'm trying to check my understanding of the geometric phase by explicitly calculating the Berry connection for a simple 2x2 Hamiltonian that is not a textbook example of a spin-1/2 particle in a three dimensional magnetic field solved via a Bloch sphere representation and my results don't make sense. Suppose I have the Hamiltonian
$$
H = a\sigma_x+c\sigma_z =
\begin{pmatrix}
c & a\\
a & -c
\end{pmatrix}
$$ To simplify the calculations slightly I switch to polar coordinates using $$a=r\cos(\theta)$$ and $$c=r\sin(\theta).$$ The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian are
$$
E_{\pm}=\pm r
$$ and the eigenvector associated with the negative eigenvalue becomes
$$
|-\rangle = (r^2-2r\sin(\theta)+1)^{-1/2} (\sin(\theta)-r,\cos(\theta))^T
$$ It is evident from the expression for the above eigenvector that the Berry connection for this eigenstate, which for the $r$-component is defined as
$$
A_r = i\langle - | \frac{\partial}{\partial r} |- \rangle,
$$ will be purely imaginary. This is obviously wrong as the Berry phase, which is the integral over the Berry connection, must be real, but I'm confused as to why my calculations are incorrect. In the textbook examples of a spin-1/2 particle, there is a convenient phase factor of $e^{i\phi}$ present in the eigenstates, which results in a real value for the $\phi$-component of the Berry connection upon differentiation, unlike in the example above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon-Based said:
Suppose I have the Hamiltonian
$$
H = a\sigma_x+c\sigma_z =
\begin{pmatrix}
c & a\\
a & -c
\end{pmatrix}
$$ To simplify the calculations slightly I switch to polar coordinates using $$a=r\cos(\theta)$$ and $$c=r\sin(\theta).$$ The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian are
$$
E_{\pm}=\pm r
$$ and the eigenvector associated with the negative eigenvalue becomes
$$
|-\rangle = (r^2-2r\sin(\theta)+1)^{-1/2} (\sin(\theta)-r,\cos(\theta))^T
$$
Your expression for ##|-\rangle## doesn't look correct to me. Note that the Hamiltonian can be written as
$$
H = r
\begin{pmatrix}
\sin(\theta) & \cos(\theta)\\
\cos(\theta) & -\sin(\theta)
\end{pmatrix}$$
##r## appears as an overall multiplicative factor. So, the eigenvectors should not depend on ##r##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Berry connection?

The Berry connection is a mathematical quantity that describes the geometric phase acquired by a quantum state as it evolves adiabatically around a closed path in parameter space. It is a fundamental concept in the study of topological phases of matter.

2. How is the Berry connection calculated?

The Berry connection can be calculated by taking the derivative of the eigenstates of a Hamiltonian with respect to the parameters that define it. In the case of a 2x2 Hamiltonian, this involves finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian and using them to construct the Berry connection matrix.

3. Why is the Berry connection important?

The Berry connection is important because it provides a way to study the topological properties of a quantum system. It allows us to understand how the quantum state changes as the parameters of the system are varied, and can reveal information about the underlying geometry and topology of the system.

4. What is the significance of a 2x2 Hamiltonian in this calculation?

A 2x2 Hamiltonian is a simple and commonly used model for studying topological phases of matter. It allows for easy visualization and calculation of the Berry connection, making it a useful tool for understanding the underlying physics of these systems.

5. Can the Berry connection be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Berry connection can be experimentally measured using techniques such as quantum state tomography or interferometry. These methods allow for the extraction of the geometric phase acquired by a quantum state, which is directly related to the Berry connection.