Finding the Tension in a Suspended Block

In summary, the conversation involved solving for the angle and tension in a system where a 0.66 kg block is suspended from the middle of a 1.14 m long string attached to the ceiling. Using the equations F=ma and tan(theta) = y-component / x-component, the angle between the string and the ceiling was found to be approximately 28.27 degrees. The tension in the string was found to be 6.468 N. In the next part, the block was replaced with two 0.33 kg blocks attached to the string at equal lengths of 0.38 m. Using the same equations, the angle was found to be approximately 28.789 degrees, but a different approach was needed to
Warmacblu

Homework Statement

A .66 kg block is suspended from the middle of a 1.14 m long string (.57m segments). The ends of the string are attached to the ceiling at points separated by 1 m, and the block can slip along the long string.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2.

1. What angle does the string make with the ceiling?

2. What is the tension in the string?

3. The .66 kg block is removed and two .33 kg blocks are attached to the string such that the lengths of each string segments are equal (.38m). What is the tension in the string segments attached to the ceiling on the right?

4. What is the tension in the horizontal segment?

Homework Equations

F = ma

tan (theta) = y-component / x-component

The Attempt at a Solution

All I could come up with was figuring out the Newton force of the block:

F = ma
F = .66 * 9.8
F = 6.468

I do not know where to continue from there. I am thinking I have to do something with the .57 m string pieces but am unsure on what to do with them. I am just focusing on the first part for now, I just decided to post the other parts in case I need help with them down the road.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out the angle that the strings make by drawing a triangle. (The top side is 1 m, the other two sides are 0.57 m.)

Then consider the forces acting on the mass. Hint: Consider the vertical components.

Okay, I will try that tomorrow morning. Thanks for the hint.

Since I know three sides and no angles, should I cut the triangle in half to give me a 90 degree angle at the top and solve from there? Or is there a way to solve for an angle given all the sides.

I tried twice to get the angle and came up with the wrong answer:

I split the triangle in half so the top was .5 and the hypotenuse was .57.

a2 + b2 = c2
.52 + b2 = .572
.25 + b2 = .3249
b2 = .0749
b = .27

sin(theta) = .27 / .57
theta = sin-1(.47)
theta = 28.27

I also tried to multiply 28.27 times two and subtract that from 180 to get that larger angle at the bottom of the string and still got the incorrect answer.

Am I not supposed to use sin or am I supposed to take a different approach?

Your approach is perfectly good. If this is some online system, perhaps it wants an answer to 3 significant figures. (Don't round off the side to .27 .)

Doc Al said:
Your approach is perfectly good. If this is some online system, perhaps it wants an answer to 3 significant figures. (Don't round off the side to .27 .)

Yeah, it is an online system. I will try using 3 sig figs and report back after dinner. Thanks.

Okay, I got the first part correct. The accepted answer was 28.694. These online systems are ridiculous. I am going to work on the other parts tonight and see if I can figure them out. I will post here if I have any troubles. Thanks again.

I figured out the tension in the string just fine but I am having a problem with part 3. I just cannot figure out where to start at. Should I use the same method as the first part or is there something I am missing?

Now you need to draw a different diagram.

In this one, the string and the ceiling will form a trapezoid.

Warmacblu said:
Should I use the same method as the first part or is there something I am missing?
Yes, you'll use the same general method, but as PhaseShifter says you'll have a different diagram with different angles.

The diagram is already drawn for me (which is nice) but I do not know exactly where to cut the trapezoid to form my triangle. I am guessing that the top half will be .333, the hypotenuse will be .38 and the other part will be left up to me to solve.

Okay, I solved for the angle:

a2 + b2 = c2
.3332 + b2 = 0.382
.110889 + b2 = .1444
b2 = .033511
b = .183

sin(theta) = .183 / 0.38
theta = sin--1(.183 / 0.38)
theta = 28.789

This angle is similar to the first part but I am not sure if I can use the same equation to solve for T because even though the tension is equal on the other side, I don't know if it is equal on the horizontal segment.

The equation I used was T = mg / 2sin(theta)

Alright, so using T = mg / 2sin(theta) did not work. I am unsure on how to set up the force diagram from this point.

Warmacblu said:
The diagram is already drawn for me (which is nice) but I do not know exactly where to cut the trapezoid to form my triangle. I am guessing that the top half will be .333, the hypotenuse will be .38 and the other part will be left up to me to solve.
No need to guess. You know the distance between the masses and the total length of the top of the trapezoid.

Doc Al said:
No need to guess. You know the distance between the masses and the total length of the top of the trapezoid.

I solved for the angle which I believe is correct. But I am having trouble coming up with an expression for the tension.

Warmacblu said:
I solved for the angle which I believe is correct.
You solved for the angle using a distance that you guessed. (It's close, but why guess?)
But I am having trouble coming up with an expression for the tension.
You have two tensions to find so you'll need two equations: Analyze vertical and horizontal force components.

Doc Al said:
You solved for the angle using a distance that you guessed. (It's close, but why guess?)

You have two tensions to find so you'll need two equations: Analyze vertical and horizontal force components.

Sorry I haven't replied back in a while, I have been studying for a different class and had to put Physics on the back-burner. I solved the problem though, thanks for all the help.

1. What is a block suspended on a string?

A block suspended on a string refers to a physical system where a block or object is attached to one end of a string or rope and the other end is fixed to a support, allowing the block to hang freely.

2. What are the factors that affect the motion of a block suspended on a string?

The motion of a block suspended on a string is affected by various factors such as the length and mass of the string, the mass and shape of the block, and the strength and direction of the force applied to the block.

3. How does the tension in the string change with the motion of the block?

The tension in the string changes as the block moves due to the pull of gravity and the acceleration of the block. As the block moves downwards, the tension in the string increases, and as it moves upwards, the tension decreases.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the string and the motion of the block?

The angle of the string affects the motion of the block by determining the direction and magnitude of the net force acting on the block. The steeper the angle of the string, the greater the net force and the faster the block will move.

5. How does the motion of a block suspended on a string demonstrate Newton's laws of motion?

The motion of a block suspended on a string follows Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a block suspended on a string, the force of gravity pulling the block downwards is balanced by the tension in the string pulling it upwards, demonstrating Newton's third law.