Is 3000 Solved Problems in Physics Effective for Understanding Complex Concepts?

• Thread starter Chewy0087
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is discussing a book that the speaker has been using for a few weeks. They highly recommend it, as it contains a mix of easy and challenging problems with solutions. The book covers topics from the first two years of undergraduate study and has helped the speaker gain confidence in physics problem solving. They also mention a specific problem they were able to solve using the book. Overall, the speaker loves the book and is curious to hear others' opinions on it.
Chewy0087
hey there, just wondering if anyone else out there is currently using this book

for my part, I absolutely love it, the problems range from introductory to downright difficult questions, and all contain sufficient solutions, having used it for the past few weeks doing many questions I can really say that it has helped me to understand the topics. it has the right mix of mickey-mouse questions getting you familiar with equations, and real thinkers which challenge your understanding.

not only that, but to my knowledge it must cover questions from at least the first two years of undergraduate study, surely one wouldn't meet Maxwell's equations in depth until the second year.

would love to hear some opinions on this book and how useful you've found it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I bought that book. I needed more confidance in my physics problem solving and this book certainly gave me that.
For example; I wanted to know what the final speed would be of 1m diameter by 1m deep spinning drum full of 100L of water spinning at 1000rpm and then have a hole on the perimeter drain all the water. When empty what is the final rpm of the drum? Ignore the weight of the drum. How fast will the water drain through a 5cm cubed hole?
I love the book!

I am always excited to hear about resources that help students understand and apply physics concepts. It sounds like this book, "3000 Solved Problems in Physics," is a valuable tool for those studying physics. The wide range of problems, from introductory to difficult, and the inclusion of solutions make it a comprehensive resource for students at various levels of understanding. It is also encouraging to hear that the book covers topics that are typically taught in the first two years of undergraduate study, which shows its depth and usefulness. I am glad to hear that it has been helpful for you and I am sure it will continue to benefit students in their studies of physics. Thank you for sharing your opinion and I look forward to hearing more about how others have found this book to be useful.

1. What is "3000 Solved problems in Physics"?

"3000 Solved problems in Physics" is a comprehensive book that contains 3000 solved problems in various topics of physics. It is designed to help students and professionals alike to strengthen their understanding and problem-solving skills in physics.

2. Who is the author of "3000 Solved problems in Physics"?

The author of "3000 Solved problems in Physics" is Alvin Halpern, a renowned physicist and educator. He has authored several other books on physics and has years of experience in teaching and research.

3. What topics are covered in "3000 Solved problems in Physics"?

The book covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It also includes problems from various levels of difficulty, making it suitable for students at different levels of education.

4. Can "3000 Solved problems in Physics" be used as a textbook?

Yes, "3000 Solved problems in Physics" can be used as a supplementary textbook. It provides in-depth explanations and detailed solutions to the problems, making it a valuable resource for students to improve their understanding of physics and excel in exams.

5. Is "3000 Solved problems in Physics" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "3000 Solved problems in Physics" can be used for self-study. It is an excellent resource for students who want to practice and improve their problem-solving skills in physics on their own. The book provides step-by-step solutions and clear explanations, making it easy for self-study.