Solving the Time Dilation Problem: Insights from a 1971 Experiment

In summary, the experiment in 1971 involving four portable atomic clocks flown around the world in jet aircraft tested the time dilation predictions of relativity. The westbound plane flew at an average speed of 1500 km/h, but the calculation of the time lost relative to the ground clock was not accurate as it did not take into account the varying speed and other factors such as altitude and gravitational potential. The observed discrepancy of the clocks in the experiment was 273ns, but the calculation of the plane's average speed was also not accurate as it did not consider all the factors affecting time dilation.
KyleS4562
In 1971 four portable atomic clocks were flown around the world in jet aircraft, two east bound and two westbound, to test the times dilation predictions of relativity. a) If the westbound plane flew at an average speed of 1500 km/h relative to the surface, how long would it have to fly for the clock on board to lose 1s relative to the reference clock on the ground? b) In the actual experiment the plane circumflew Earth once and the observed discrepancy of the clocks was 273ns. What was the plane's average speed?

For the first part, I convereted 1500km/h to 416.6m/s, then put it terms of c, or 1.389x10^-6c. I then took the standard equation t'/(sqrt(1-(1.389x10^-6c)^2)/c^2) = t.
I then made t-t'=1, solved for t'=-1+t and put that into the equation.
Solving, I got 1x10^12 s, or 31,688 years. Is this a reasonable answer?

I think my method would be wrong, because I followed similar steps to get b. After removing the t' prime from the equation as I did in part a, I set t = 40075160m/v, 40075160m being the circumference of the earth. My equation was as follows:
(1/(sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)))*(-273x10^-9s + 40075160/v) = 40075160/v

I solved for v, but got 1226.2 m/s, which is a speed I don't believe we've even held for a sustained flight now, let alone in 1971. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, the answer is not reasonable. You are assuming that the speed of the plane is constant, which it is not in reality. You have also assumed that the time dilation is due only to the speed of the plane, which is not true. Time dilation also depends on altitude and gravitational potential as well. For part b, you have not taken into account the time dilation due to altitude and gravitational potential. The actual equation used to calculate the velocity of the plane would be t'/(sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))*(1+g/c^2)) = t, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. Taking this into account should give you a more accurate result.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a slower rate for an object or person that is moving at a high speed or experiencing a strong gravitational field. This concept was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the relationship between time and space in Einstein's theory of relativity. As an object moves faster, it experiences a contraction in space and an expansion in time. This means that time appears to pass slower for the object relative to an observer who is at rest.

3. What is the equation for time dilation?

The equation for time dilation is t = t0/√(1-(v2/c2)), where t is the observed time, t0 is the time for an object at rest, v is the velocity of the object, and c is the speed of light. This equation is known as the time dilation factor.

4. How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation has a significant impact on space travel because as an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down. This means that astronauts on a high-speed spacecraft will experience time at a slower rate compared to people on Earth. This can cause issues with synchronization and can also lead to astronauts aging at a slower rate.

5. Is time dilation proven?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through various experiments and observations. The most famous example is the Hafele-Keating experiment, which involved atomic clocks being flown around the world in opposite directions. The clocks that flew eastward, in the direction of Earth's rotation, showed a difference in time compared to the clocks that stayed on the ground, providing evidence for time dilation.