Is Dark Energy Just a Myth in Modern Science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark energy and its role in the accelerating expansion of the universe. One person bases their disbelief in dark energy solely on philosophical intuition, while the other argues that evidence should trump philosophical musings. The existence of dark energy is supported by various scientific evidence, but its nature and workings are still unknown. The conversation also touches on the role of philosophy in science and the importance of considering evidence over personal beliefs.
IcedEcliptic said:
I may be miscommunicating in this case; I personally believe that dark matter is composed of WIMPs, or Sterile Neutrinos, or both. I do not believe GR has such holes in it, that we're just "off the mark." Dark energy, I do not know. It seems there is a positive cosmological constant, and vacuum expectation energy would explain both, but it is far from being shown to be. I am disputing your certainty, not your conclusions.
Slight caveat: I think we can be quite certain that GR is wrong on some level, but we can also be extremely confident that the way in which it's wrong cannot explain dark matter. Our confidence that the way in which it's wrong doesn't explain dark energy is a little less certain, but it still seems likely that the answer is not a modification of gravity.

Space news on Phys.org
Chalnoth said:
This is an extremely misleading measure, though, because it's a measure that changes with time. We know the primary makeup of our universe a few seconds after reheating, for example: in the very early universe, nearly all of the energy density was made up of radiation. Not long after that, and until a few billion years ago, nearly all of the energy density was normal matter and dark matter. A few billion years from now, nearly all of it will be dark energy.

Then we will know what makes up approximately 0% of the universe -- much better :-)

I think the point is that if you model y=a*x, and measure x, you can only infer y through the model. That is all the OP is saying, and he is correct, imo. You however are taking the model as gospel, which is dangerous even if you (not necessarily you specifically) are right.

Last edited:
diggy said:
You however are taking the model as gospel, which is dangerous even if you (not necessarily you specifically) are right.
Hardly. I'm just saying we have cause to be a lot more confident about specific features of the models than many people in this thread seem to think. The evidence for dark matter, in particular, spans a wide variety of mutually-corroborating data sets. From the data we have available to us today, there just isn't much of any wiggle room left.

Dark energy is much more up in the air. It could still be a modification of gravity, though that is seeming increasingly unlikely. The possibility of it just being a misunderstanding of how to deal with inhomogeneities properly is exceedingly far-fetched now. That leaves a cosmological constant or some time-varying field with the right properties (specifically having a pressure/energy density ratio close to -1 for late times, and not having too much energy density at early times).

Chalnoth said:
Hardly. I'm just saying we have cause to be a lot more confident about specific features of the models than many people in this thread seem to think. The evidence for dark matter, in particular, spans a wide variety of mutually-corroborating data sets. From the data we have available to us today, there just isn't much of any wiggle room left.

Dark energy is much more up in the air. It could still be a modification of gravity, though that is seeming increasingly unlikely. The possibility of it just being a misunderstanding of how to deal with inhomogeneities properly is exceedingly far-fetched now. That leaves a cosmological constant or some time-varying field with the right properties (specifically having a pressure/energy density ratio close to -1 for late times, and not having too much energy density at early times).

Fair enough.

New question, if somewhere/somehow we were able to prove that either dark matter or dark energy was non-existent, i.e. the our universe model was no longer consistent with GR and evidence, would you still be an advocate of the other missing quantity?

diggy said:
Fair enough.

New question, if somewhere/somehow we were able to prove that either dark matter or dark energy was non-existent, i.e. the our universe model was no longer consistent with GR and evidence, would you still be an advocate of the other missing quantity?
Yes. Why wouldn't I?

diggy said:

If you show that the existence of dark energy or dark matter was inconsistent with observations and general relativity, it could be that GR is wrong, or that we fundamentally misunderstand our observations.

Also I think you are setting the bar way too high. Dark energy is a crazy, stupid, silly explanation for how the universe works, and dark matter only slightly less so. All you have to do in order to convince me that dark energy and dark matter is not the best explanation is to come up with something slightly less crazy, stupid, and silly.

It's harder than it sounds...

The other thing is that whether dark energy is a good explanation or not is not some sort of religious or political issue. Give me one paper to read, and I might think it's a nutty idea, and then two weeks later, I might change my mind, and then two weeks later, I might change my mind again.

Mu naught said:
I base my disbelief solely on philosophical intuition

That's a bad, bad way of doing physics. People have come up with alternative explanations for the observations, and right now the alternative explanations are worse than "dark matter."

One thing that is very educational is to go through the original paper that presented evidence that the universe is accelerating. They went through every possibility that people could think of for attributing this to some sort of observational weirdness and came up with reasons why that didn't work.

It troubles me deeply that we talk about dark energy as if it is a concretely proven phenomena

Except that we don't. A lot of what you read in theoretical papers are of the form "if dark energy exists then..." The point of talking about something that you don't know exists as if it did was so that you can then figure out what the consequences of it existing are.

yet we have no real basis for even believing it exists, other than if we don't know the answer, it's easier to just invent an explanation. To me that isn't science, that's myth making.

That's science. Invent an explanation. See if it works. If it doesn't, invent another explanation. Repeat.

To this effect, I'm also doubtful about dark matter. Not that there is unseen matter out there which has a gravitational effect, but the idea that dark matter is some unknown type of matter we've never seen before.

The problem is that if you assume that dark matter is "normal matter" you run into a lot of problems. Galaxies clump in the wrong way, and all the elemental abundances are wrong. People have tried really, really hard to come up with explanations of this, but the explanations are even weirder than dark matter.

Mu naught said:
You know Maxwell discovered Electromagnetism based solely on his philosophical intuition that the universe should be symmetrical.

Intuition is wonderful for creative inspiration, but science involves matching intuition with cold hard facts.

You claim I should base my opinions on evidence, yet you seem (judging by your rude comment) to be a believer in dark energy.

For things at the frontiers of science, I hate the term "believe" or "disbelieve". Right now, it seems to me that dark energy is the best explanation anyone has come up with for what we are seeing. It's possible that this evening I'll read some paper on the Los Alamos Preprint Server and change my mind about this.

What evidence do you have for this beliefs?

There are review papers that people can point you to. Personally I'd start with wikipedia, since the articles there are often surprisingly good,

You can claim that you observe (or at least accept that others do) that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, but I can just as easily claim that such an observation is far too difficult to be certain about, and that your methods and instruments are flawed.

You can claim that. You can't *easily* claim that.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1998AJ...116.1009R

Go through Section Five, where they go through all of the obvious explanations for the results and knock them down. If you can think of something they didn't include, feel free to mention it.

The fact is, no one has any explanation of what or how dark energy may work, and in the end they accept it not on scientific grounds, but on philosophical ones.
[/QUOTE]

You come up with an explanation, figure out the consequences, fit to observations. Right now dark energy is the "least bad" of the explanations.

Chalnoth said:
I strongly suspect that the Pioneer anomaly has more to do with the spacecraft itself or with how we are measuring its position than with fundamental physics.

Same here. If the Pioneer anomaly were due to fundamental physics, then we should be able to see weird things happening with other things.