Optimizing Area: Finding the Minimum Value of Sum of Squares for Cut Rectangles

• Thread starter matpo39
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving a rectangle that is cut into smaller rectangles. Part a) involves finding the minimum value of the sum of the squares of the areas of the smaller rectangles, while part b) explores the maximum value of the sum of the squares of the areas when the cutting lines correspond to the sides of the rectangle. The conversation includes equations and the suggestion to use Lagrange multipliers to solve the problem.
matpo39
I am having a little bit of trouble with one of my math problems.

a) A rectanglewith length L and width W is cut into four smaller rectangles by two lines parallel to the sides. Find the minimum value of the sum of the squares of the areas of the smaller rectangles.

b) Show that the maximum of the sum of the squares of the areas occurs when cutting lines correspond to sides of the rectangle (so that there is only one rectangle).

i started part a) and this is what i got so far:

A=LW , A(small)=a , a=1/4*LW

so da/dL = (1/4)*W and da/dW= (1/4)*L

and the sum of the squares of all these are equal to 0 so
4[1/16(L^2+W^2)] = 0
1/4(L^2+W^2) = 0

I don't think that this is right though, can anyone help me out here?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
after thinking about it for a bit, i am now wondering if it would be easier if i were to try to use lagrange multipliers to solve this, but I am not too sure how i would implement them.

matpo30 said:
A=LW , A(small)=a , a=1/4*LW

Where're you getting this statement? Particularly that the area of the smaller rectangles is simply 1/4 the total area?

Let l be the length to the cut along the L side and w the length to the cut along the W side. Then,

a1 = lw
a2 = l(W-w)
a3 = (L - l)w
a4 = (L - l)(W - w)

and a1 + a2 + a3 + a4 = A (Note: this last equation won't help you).

See if you can't get that to work.

--Justin

I'm stuck on a similar problem and I'm not sure where to go from here. Help? Thanks a bunch! :smile:

1. What is "minimizing with partials" in scientific terms?

"Minimizing with partials" refers to a mathematical optimization technique that involves finding the minimum value of a function by taking partial derivatives and setting them equal to zero. This allows scientists to find the optimal solution to a problem by analyzing the rate of change of the function.

2. How is "minimizing with partials" different from other optimization methods?

"Minimizing with partials" is different from other optimization methods in that it specifically uses partial derivatives to find the minimum value of a function. Other methods may use different mathematical techniques or may not involve derivatives at all.

3. What types of problems can we solve using "minimizing with partials"?

"Minimizing with partials" can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields, such as economics, engineering, physics, and biology. It is commonly used to optimize production processes, minimize costs, and maximize profits.

4. Are there any limitations to "minimizing with partials"?

One limitation of "minimizing with partials" is that it can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable. This means that it may not be suitable for solving problems with discontinuous or non-differentiable functions. Additionally, it may be computationally expensive for complex functions.

5. How can "minimizing with partials" be applied in real-world situations?

"Minimizing with partials" has many practical applications in industries such as finance, manufacturing, and logistics. For example, it can be used to optimize the production process of a company to reduce costs and increase efficiency. It can also be used to analyze market trends and make informed decisions in the stock market.