Induced EMF in a small square loop of wire at center of an AC Circuit

In summary, the conversation revolves around using voltage and resistance to solve for current in a larger circuit. The equation used may not be correct, but the individual has tried using omega, N, and area to solve for B, with difficulty finding an equation for a rectangular loop. They have looked at a video solving for the B at the center of a square loop, but have had trouble applying it to the rectangular wire. The suggested approach is to use Biot-Savart to determine the B field at the center of the large loop and then use emf = -dB/dt times the area of the small loop. The question statement is unclear about what is being asked for, whether it is the amplitude or RMS average emf.
bw519
Homework Statement
A simple circuit that is 0.3m wide and 0.2m tall is driven with an alternating current (AC) power supply and has a 5 ohm resistor. The AC supply applies a 20V amplitude at 60 Hz. What emf amplitude is induced in microvolts in a small 1cm square loop of wire at the center of the circuit? (you can assume the field is constant over the surface of the square)
Relevant Equations
Emf = NBAw
I used the voltage of the power supply and resistance to solve for the current in the larger circuit (20V/5ohms=4 amps). I am not sure if the equation listed above is the correct one I should be using, but I tried it using the following numbers. For omega, I used 2*pi*frequency. N should equal 1. For area I tried the area of the small square (0.01mx0.01m). I had more of an issue solving for B. I found equations for the magnetic field due to a circular loop and due to a long wire, but I had more trouble finding anything for a rectangular loop. Is this even the correct way to be solving this problem? If so, is there an equation for B that I should be using.

I found one video online that was solving for the B at the center of a square loop. I believe the equation was 4*(4*pi*10^-7)*I*sin(theta)/(4*pi*a/2) where a was the length of the sides of the square. I was trying to use that with the rectangular wire by summing two versions of that equation, using 2 as the first coefficient for two sides at a time that were the same length (instead of 4 all the same), different angles and the different lengths for the sides in place of a, but none of those options seemed to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
bw519 said:
I found one video online that was solving for the B at the center of a square loop. I believe the equation was 4*(4*pi*10^-7)*I*sin(theta)/(4*pi*a/2) where a was the length of the sides of the square. I was trying to use that with the rectangular wire by summing two versions of that equation, using 2 as the first coefficient for two sides at a time that were the same length (instead of 4 all the same), different angles and the different lengths for the sides in place of a, but none of those options seemed to work.
This approach should work. However, it appears that the formula you are trying to use might not be correct. Take a look at https://www.clutchprep.com/physics/practice-problems/144964/a-steady-current-i-is-flowing-through-a-straight-wire-of-finite-length-part-afin.

The question statement is not clear. Do they want the amplitude of the induced emf or the RMS average emf or maybe something else?

Last edited:
You can use Biot-Savart to determine the B field at the center of the large loop. Then emf = -dB/dt times area of small loop.

1. What is induced EMF in a small square loop of wire at the center of an AC circuit?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is a phenomenon where a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. In the case of a small square loop of wire at the center of an AC circuit, the induced EMF is a result of the alternating current passing through the loop and creating a changing magnetic field.

2. How is induced EMF calculated in a small square loop of wire?

The induced EMF in a small square loop of wire can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. This can be represented by the equation E= -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

3. What factors affect the induced EMF in a small square loop of wire?

The induced EMF in a small square loop of wire is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the loop, the area of the loop, and the frequency of the alternating current passing through the loop.

4. How does the direction of the induced EMF in a small square loop of wire change with time?

The direction of the induced EMF in a small square loop of wire changes with time as the magnetic field passing through the loop changes. This results in an alternating current in the loop, where the direction of the current changes with the direction of the changing magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of induced EMF in small square loops of wire?

Induced EMF in small square loops of wire has many practical applications, including in generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in devices such as electric guitars and microphones, where the changing magnetic field created by the strings or sound waves induces an electric current in the loop, producing sound.