Clarify about the moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia for different shapes and the confusion in calculating it. The expert advises on how to properly solve the equation and clarifies the issue of using L/2 in the integrand. The conversation ends with the questioner expressing gratitude for the clarification.
opeth_35
hey, I want to ask you something about to calculate the moment of inertia for any shape.

My problem is that I can not calculate that moment of inertia values for any shape. Such as

rectangle or stick and the others.

I have tried to calculate for stick and I have found the solution of Ix=∫y2.dm is ∫(L/2)^2dm and after that point how can i calculate dm for this integrnt. I wrote insted of dm which is dm=M/L.dL but I cannot forward within the equation.. ı think there is a very simple thing in this equation but I cannot see that and I cannot solve thıs equatıon properly. I fell like a blind for that.

Please if you help me clarify for that solving i would be appreciate for taht.

Physics news on Phys.org
opeth_35 said:
I have tried to calculate for stick and I have found the solution of Ix=∫y2.dm is ∫(L/2)^2dm and after that point how can i calculate dm for this integrnt. I wrote insted of dm which is dm=M/L.dL but I cannot forward within the equation..
Try this:
Ix = ∫x2dm

dm = (M/L)dx

So: Ix = (M/L) ∫x2dx

You should be able to continue the calculation now.

i have a problem again about that solution, Could you check this out again?

Attachments

• PHOTO.jpg
    PHOTO.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 465
opeth_35 said:
i have a problem again about that solution, Could you check this out again?
Giving your solution in an attachment makes it more difficult to comment on each step.

Why do you think you need to substitute L/2 for x in the integrand? First do the integration, then substitute the range of variables.

because I have to calculate moment of inertia according to the central axis. that's why I have taken that L/2.

I have been trying to clarify that problem since morning but I still can not. If you say to me how to solve that. Iwill finish that things. please. by the way.. I have tried to solve without putting L/2 first. I found Ix= ML^2 / 24.

Maybe it is so simple to see that here for you, but I cannot. If I bored you sorry! I am just going to second class of my undergraduate.

opeth_35 said:
because I have to calculate moment of inertia according to the central axis. that's why I have taken that L/2.
What you're trying to do is evaluate the definite integral:

[tex](M/L)\int_{-L/2}^{+L/2} x^2 dx[/tex]

First find the antiderivative of x^2, then evaluate using the limits of integration.

that has been so clear for me, Thank you for helping me :) my problem was to understand the boundries.. okey..

have a nice days Doc Al:)

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that depends on an object's mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by summing the products of each individual mass element and its square distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for moment of inertia is I = Σmr^2.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the units for moment of inertia are kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²).

4. How does moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is directly related to an object's rotational acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion. A larger moment of inertia means a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion, resulting in a slower rotational acceleration.

5. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its shape, mass distribution, and the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass or a greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia.