Topological sigma model, Euler Lagrange equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the paper "Topological Sigma Models" by Edward Witten and how to get from equation (2.14) to (2.15). The theory involves maps from a Riemann surface to a Riemannian manifold and a Lagrangian is used to describe the map. The Euler-Lagrange equations are used to show the desired expression. The conversation also includes a solution attempt and a helpful suggestion to use a constraint to write the expression in a simplified form.
physicus

Homework Statement

My question refers to the paper "Topological Sigma Models" by Edward Witten, which is available on the web after a quick google search. I am not allowed to include links in my posts, yet. I want to know how to get from equation (2.14) to (2.15).
We consider a theory of maps from a Riemann surface [itex]\Sigma[/itex] with complex structure [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] to a Riemannian manifold [itex]M[/itex] with an almost complex structure [itex]J[/itex]. [itex]h[/itex] is the metric on [itex]\Sigma[/itex], [itex]g[/itex] the metric on [itex]M[/itex].
The map [itex]\phi:\Sigma \to M[/itex] is locally described by functions [itex]u^i(\sigma)[/itex]. [itex]H^{\alpha i}[/itex] is a commuting field ([itex]\alpha = 1,2[/itex] is the tangent index to [itex]\Sigma[/itex] and [itex]i=1,\ldots,n[/itex] runs over a basis of [itex]\phi^*(T)[/itex], which is the pullback of the tangent bundle of [itex]T[/itex] to [itex]M[/itex]). [itex]H^{\alpha i}[/itex] obeys [itex]H^{\alpha i}=\varepsilon^\alpha{}_\beta {J^i}{}_j H^{\beta j}[/itex].
We consider the Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L}=\int d^2\sigma(-\frac{1}{4}H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + H^\alpha_i \partial_\alpha u^i + (\text{terms independent of H}))[/itex].
[itex]H[/itex] is a non-propagating field, since the Lagrangian does not depend on its derivative.
Using the Euler-Lagrange equations I want to show: [itex]H^i_\alpha=\partial_\alpha u^i \epsilon_{\alpha\beta}J^i{}_j\partial^\beta u^j[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\int d^2\sigma(-\frac{1}{4}H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + H^\alpha_i \partial_\alpha u^i + (\text{terms independent of H}))[/itex]
[itex]H^{\alpha i}=\varepsilon^\alpha{}_\beta {J^i}{}_j H^{\beta j}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] does not depend on the derivative of [itex]H[/itex], the Euler Lagrange equations simply state [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}=0[/itex]. I tried to evaluate this:
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}\left(\int d^2s(-\frac{1}{4}H^{\beta j}(s)H_{\beta j}(s) + H^\beta_j(s) \partial_\beta u^j(s))\right)[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\partial}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}\left(\int d^2s(-\frac{1}{4}h_{\beta\gamma}g^{jk}H^{\beta}_k(s) H^{\gamma}_j(s)+ \epsilon^\beta{}_\gamma J_j{}^k H^\gamma_k(s) \partial_\beta u^j(s))\right)[/itex] where the second equation of the realtions above is used
[itex]=-\frac{1}{4}h_{\beta\gamma}g^{jk}(h^{\beta\alpha} g_{ik} H^{\gamma}_{j}(\sigma) + H^{\beta}_{k}(\sigma) h^{\alpha\gamma} g_{jk}) + \varepsilon^\beta{}_\gamma J_j{}^k h^{\alpha\gamma} g_{ik} \partial_\beta u^{j}(\sigma)[/itex]
[itex]=-\frac{1}{2}H^\alpha_i+\varepsilon^{\beta\alpha}J_{ji}\partial_\beta u^j(\sigma)[/itex]

Unfortunately, that is not really close to the expression that I am looking for. Can someone find mistakes? I appreciate any help.

physicus

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the constraint to write

$$-\frac{1}{4} H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + H_{\alpha i} \partial^\alpha u^i
=- \frac{1}{4} H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + \frac{1}{2} H_{\alpha i} \partial^\alpha u^i
- \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{\beta\alpha} {J^i}_jH_{\alpha i} \partial^\beta u^j .$$

Note that the sign of the 3rd term changes when you transpose the indices on ##\epsilon_{\beta\alpha}## after computing the variation.

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I got it now.

1. What is a topological sigma model?

A topological sigma model is a type of quantum field theory that describes the behavior of topological objects in a given space. It is used to study the topology of a space and the interactions between topological features, such as holes or handles.

2. How are topological sigma models described mathematically?

Topological sigma models are described using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of differential equations that determine the dynamics of a system based on its Lagrangian (a function that describes the energy of the system).

3. What are the applications of topological sigma models?

Topological sigma models have a wide range of applications in theoretical physics, including string theory, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. They are also used in mathematics to study the topology of manifolds and other geometric objects.

4. How are topological sigma models related to topological quantum field theory?

Topological sigma models are a type of topological quantum field theory, meaning they describe the behavior of topological objects in a given space without regard to the metric or geometry of that space. They are used to study the topological properties of a space and the ways in which these properties can change.

5. How do topological sigma models contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Topological sigma models are important in theoretical physics because they provide a framework for studying the behavior of topological objects in different spaces. This can help us better understand the fundamental structure of the universe and how it evolves over time.