Commutation relations in SUSY

In summary: We can now use the property of anti-commutativity with derivatives to simplify this further:$$\{\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}, \partial_\mu\} = \{\partial_\mu, \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}\} = \partial_\mu \{\partial_\nu, \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}\} = -\partial_\mu \delta^\nu_\alpha = -\
ZhenyaT
I hope I put this in the correct section of this forum, I apologize if I didn't.

Homework Statement

:[/B]

It is well known that the generators

$$
Q_\alpha = \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha} - i \sigma^\mu_{\alpha \dot \beta} \bar{\theta}^\dot{\beta} \partial_\mu
$$

and

$$
\bar{Q}_\dot{\alpha} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{\theta}^\dot{\alpha}} + i \theta^\beta\sigma^\mu_{\beta \dot \alpha} \partial_\mu
$$

where
$$ \theta^\alpha, \bar{\theta}^\dot{\beta} $$
are Grassmann variables, obey the anti-commutation relations

$$
\{Q_\alpha, \bar{Q}_\dot{\alpha}\} = 2i \sigma^\mu_{\alpha \dot \alpha} \partial_\mu
$$
$$
\{Q_\alpha, Q_\beta\} = \{\bar{Q}_\dot{\alpha}, \bar{Q}_\dot{\beta}\} = 0
$$

I am asked to explicitly verify those anti-commutation relations, say for example
$$ \{Q_\alpha, Q_\beta\} = 0 $$

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
However, I'm unable to reproduce that result. I might get as far as follows, by simply expanding the anti-commutator, provided I did not make a mistake (I've never had to deal with Grassmann variables before, so that is a real possibility).

$$
\{Q_\alpha, Q_\beta\} = \{\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}\}
- i \sigma^\mu_{\beta \dot \beta} \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}} \{\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}, \partial_\mu\}
- i \sigma^\mu_{\alpha \dot \beta} \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}} \{ \partial_\mu, \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\beta} \}
- \sigma^\mu_{\alpha \dot \beta} \sigma^\nu_{\beta \dot \gamma} \{ \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}} \partial_\mu, \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\gamma}} \partial_\nu \}
$$

Also, I think the last term should vanish, due to the anti-commutativity of the $$\bar{\theta}$$
Is this correct so far?
Unfortunately, I'm unable to make further progress.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are having trouble verifying the anti-commutation relations for the given generators. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

Firstly, I would like to confirm that your expansion of the anti-commutator is correct so far. The last term should indeed vanish due to the anti-commutativity of the Grassmann variables.

To continue, we can use the following properties of Grassmann variables:

1. Anti-commutativity: $$\{\theta^\alpha, \theta^\beta\} = \{\bar{\theta}^\alpha, \bar{\theta}^\beta\} = 0$$
2. Commutativity with ordinary variables: $$\{\theta^\alpha, x^\mu\} = \{\bar{\theta}^\alpha, x^\mu\} = 0$$
3. Anti-commutativity with derivatives: $$\{\theta^\alpha, \partial_\mu\} = \{\bar{\theta}^\alpha, \partial_\mu\} = 0$$

Using these properties, we can simplify the first two terms in your expansion:

$$
\{\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}, \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\beta}\} = \{\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}} \partial_\mu, \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}} \partial_\nu\} = \{ \partial_\mu, \partial_\nu\} \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}}\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}} = 0
$$

$$
\{\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}, \partial_\mu\} = \{\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}} \partial_\mu, \partial_\nu\} = \partial_\mu \{\bar{\theta}^{\dot{\alpha}}, \partial_\nu\} = \partial_\mu \delta^{\dot{\alpha}}_\nu = 0
$$

Therefore, we are left with the following expression:

$$
\{Q_\alpha, Q_\beta\} = -i \sigma^\mu_{\beta \dot \beta} \bar{\theta}^{\dot{\beta}} \{\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta^\alpha}, \

1. What are commutation relations in SUSY?

Commutation relations in SUSY, or supersymmetry, refer to the mathematical relationships between operators that describe the behavior of particles in a supersymmetric theory. These relations are important in understanding the symmetries of the theory and predicting the properties of particles.

2. Why are commutation relations important in SUSY?

Commutation relations are important in SUSY because they help us understand the underlying symmetries of the theory. They also allow us to make predictions about the properties of particles, such as their mass and spin.

3. How do commutation relations differ from other symmetry relations?

Commutation relations differ from other symmetry relations in that they describe the behavior of operators, rather than the behavior of physical quantities. They also involve the use of anticommutators, which are not typically used in other symmetry relations.

4. Can commutation relations be used to solve problems in SUSY?

Yes, commutation relations can be used to solve problems in SUSY. By applying these relations to operators, we can determine the properties of particles and make predictions about their behavior in different scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to using commutation relations in SUSY?

While commutation relations are a powerful tool in SUSY, they do have some limitations. They are most useful in simple systems and can become more complex in more complicated systems. Additionally, they may not fully describe all aspects of a supersymmetric theory.