Simple Algebra (Concentration)

In summary, the original concentration of the 500 ml solution is 40 g/500 ml based on the given information and calculations. The quantity of "stuff" remains constant when diluted, leading to the same concentration in both the original and diluted solutions.
DB
Having a little trouble tackling this one.
"What is the concentration of a 500 ml solution if, when diluted to a volume of 2 Liters, its new concentration becomes 20 g/L?"

Here what I did, all in ml.

[tex]\frac{x}{500+1500}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x}{2000}=\frac{20}{1000}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{20*2000}{1000}=40=x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{40}{2000}=\frac{10}{500}[/tex]

Obviously the anwser can't be 10g/500ml, can someone help me out?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DB said:
[tex]\frac{x}{500+1500}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x}{2000}=\frac{20}{1000}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{20*2000}{1000}=40=x[/tex]
Right. "x" is the quantity of "stuff" in the mix, in g. That stuff doesn't change when you dilute it, so 40g of stuff must have been in the original 500ml. Now can you calculate the original concentration?

O so do you mean that solute is 40g for 2000ml and as well for 500ml? Making the answer 40g/500ml?

Yes. That's what I would say.

Thanks for all your help :rofl:

1. What is Simple Algebra (Concentration)?

Simple Algebra (Concentration) is a branch of mathematics that deals with equations involving only one variable. It involves solving for the value of the variable using basic arithmetic operations.

2. What are the basic principles of Simple Algebra (Concentration)?

The basic principles of Simple Algebra (Concentration) include the use of symbols to represent numbers and variables, the use of mathematical properties such as the distributive and associative properties, and the use of inverse operations to solve equations.

3. How do I solve equations in Simple Algebra (Concentration)?

To solve equations in Simple Algebra (Concentration), you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation to both sides of the equation until the variable is left alone on one side.

4. What are some common applications of Simple Algebra (Concentration)?

Simple Algebra (Concentration) is used in a variety of fields, including finance, engineering, and science. It is used to solve real-world problems involving unknown quantities, such as calculating interest rates, determining the speed of an object, or finding the concentration of a solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in Simple Algebra (Concentration)?

The best way to improve your skills in Simple Algebra (Concentration) is to practice regularly. Start with simple equations and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and practice.