Distribution of mass - from decoupling to present

In summary, Z=1000 describes the point at which the observable universe doubled in size. After this point, the distances between particles has increased, and it's still not completely clear what this means for the present.
Loren Booda
Distribution of mass -- from decoupling to present

How has subatomic particle homogeneity changed since cosmological redshift Z=1000? How much have particles maintained their relative positions to present?

I am reminded of the calculation that concludes we have molecules of air in our lungs shared by notorious persons throughout human history. If we are stardust, from what sectors of the universe do our atoms come from?

Space news on Phys.org

A more interesting question is how many of the molecules of our brain are the original molecules we were born with?

Don't our bodies (besides teeth) recycle every ~7 years?

Loren Booda said:

It's still something strange to ponder. Our memories are older than our bodies - yet we grow old.

Everything important lies in the patterns; not the matter itself.

Loren Booda said:

BobG said:
It's still something strange to ponder. Our memories are older than our bodies - yet we grow old.

Everything important lies in the patterns; not the matter itself.

I think the obvious conclusion is that memories are stored in our teeth.

denjay said:
I think the obvious conclusion is that memories are stored in our teeth.

No wonder I forgot my password after getting my wisdom teeth removed...

If two hydrogen atoms are contiguous at Z=1000, what is the farthest apart they could be now?

What does Z=1000 exactly mean?

Mk said:
What does Z=1000 exactly mean?

I thought it was how many times the observable universe had doubled in size since the emission of the CMB, but I'm not sure.

Drakkith said:
No wonder I forgot my password after getting my wisdom teeth removed...

Why do you think they're called wisdom teeth?

Z is a dimensionless quantity describing red-shift given by Z=(femit - fobs)/fobs
Z=1089 corresponds to the red-shift of cosmic micro-wave background - greatest distance and furthest back in time
Z=0 refers to the present time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

Ah. Ok. I've seen that before.

How much have particles maintained their relative positions to present?
I would assume that the particles haven't moved, but that the distance in between them has homogeneously increased.

Obviously there are many levels of position-changing higher order effects.

1. What is the "distribution of mass" and why is it important in scientific studies?

The distribution of mass refers to the way that matter is spread out or distributed in space. It is important in scientific studies because it helps us understand the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as the behavior of objects within it.

2. Can you explain the concept of "decoupling" in relation to the distribution of mass?

In the context of distribution of mass, decoupling refers to the separation of matter and radiation in the early universe. This occurred about 380,000 years after the Big Bang when the universe had cooled enough for atoms to form and become stable, allowing radiation to travel freely without being scattered by particles.

3. How does the distribution of mass affect the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures?

The distribution of mass plays a crucial role in the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the universe. As matter is drawn together by gravity, it forms clumps and filaments, eventually leading to the formation of galaxies and galaxy clusters. The distribution of mass also determines the overall shape and size of these structures.

4. What evidence do we have for the distribution of mass in the universe?

Scientists have gathered evidence for the distribution of mass in the universe through a variety of methods, including observations of the cosmic microwave background, the rotation of galaxies, and the bending of light by massive objects. These observations support the theory of dark matter, which makes up about 27% of the total mass in the universe.

5. How has our understanding of the distribution of mass changed over time?

Our understanding of the distribution of mass has evolved significantly over time as new technologies and observations have become available. Early theories proposed a homogeneous distribution of matter in the universe, but as our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe has improved, we now know that matter is not evenly distributed and that dark matter plays a significant role in shaping the distribution of mass.