Particle Fever: Exploring the Search for the Higgs Boson

In summary, there is a recent documentary called "Particle Fever," which explores the search for the Higgs boson. The film is not yet released, but there are clips and trailers available online. There is no official distribution for the film yet, but it has received positive reviews and has been featured in the New York Film Festival. Some scientists and experts have also commented on the film. Overall, it seems to be an interesting and informative documentary for those interested in the topic.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen the film yet, but I've found two clips:

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEcWjMX9oCw

Clip: A Five Story Swiss Watch (LHC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnSonIRT7ac

Some news about "Particle Fever":

It seems there's no distribution yet for the film; it's a pity - I hope it will become available soon. Nevertheless here are some more links:

Clip about Particle Fever (Johns Hopkins University):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4BcWeTuJ8

Note to moderators: I started this thread since I was interested to hear if anyone had seen the film (along with possible scientific impressions of it), and also to get some info about the distribution status of the film. If anyone feels this thread would be more appropriate in the "General Discussion" forum, please move it; I was not sure where I should post the thread in the first place. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is theorized to give other particles their mass. It was first proposed by Peter Higgs and other scientists in the 1960s as a crucial part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why is the search for the Higgs boson important?

The Higgs boson is important because its discovery would confirm the existence of the Higgs field, which is believed to give particles their mass. This is a crucial missing piece in our understanding of the universe and would help us better understand the fundamental laws of nature.

3. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and how does it relate to the search for the Higgs boson?

The Large Hadron Collider is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN in Switzerland. It was built specifically to search for the Higgs boson and other subatomic particles predicted by the Standard Model.

4. How was the Higgs boson finally discovered?

The Higgs boson was discovered in 2012 by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at the LHC. Scientists used data collected from collisions of protons at incredibly high energies to search for the particle's signature. After analyzing the data, they were able to confirm the existence of the Higgs boson.

5. What implications does the discovery of the Higgs boson have for the future of physics?

The discovery of the Higgs boson has confirmed a major aspect of the Standard Model and has opened up new possibilities for future research in particle physics. It also provides insight into the origin of mass and may lead to further discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.