Bridge rectifier output voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the output voltage waveform of a circuit and its lack of a DC offset. The circuit contains a diode that becomes forward biased when the input voltage is greater than a certain threshold. The difference between this circuit and one using thyristors is also mentioned, with the latter being referred to as half-controlled. It is also noted that the presence of an inductor affects the circuit and the output voltage is dependent on the nodes where it is measured. The conversation also mentions the use of a capacitor for DC bias in a clipping circuit and how the inductor affects the circuit.
i_am_stupid
Hi, I'm trying to figure out why the output voltage waveform of this circuit would not include a DC offset of E. My understanding is that D1 becomes forward biased when Vs > E, and so that is when it should conduct. Every waveform drawing I've seen, on the other hand, begins conduction at 0 volts.

FnKLCs7.png

Also, what would be the difference between this circuit and one that replaces two diodes with thyristors? I've seen the latter referred to as half-controlled.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I didn't analyze the circuit in detail, but don't forget the coil: At Vs close to 0 you have the fastest voltage changes -> current changes in the resistor -> the coil will have some induced voltage.

At which nodes is the output voltage taken?

Take the inductor out of the circuit and you have a diode clipping circuit, where the diode will not conduct until the input waveform Vs > Vd + E. You can see the if you remove the R as shown and instead add an R to the anodes of D1 and D3, to obtain the textbook diode clipping circuit, where the output is taken anode of D1 to the bottom of the circuit. Of course, you have another diode in there, D2, but that is just another 0.7v ( for silicon ).

There is no DC bias voltage in a clipping circuit in the normal sense of where the output voltage for a clipping circuit is taken. Textbooks will add in a capacitor for DC bias and show the output waveform at the appropriate connections.

Then you can add in the inductor to see how that affects the circuit.

Skeptic is correct. One has to specify the nodes to properly identify the output waveform.

Last edited:

Hello, thank you for your question.

First, let's discuss the output voltage waveform of a bridge rectifier circuit. The output voltage waveform will not include a DC offset of E because of the way the diodes are arranged in the circuit. Each diode conducts only when its anode is at a higher voltage than its cathode. In a bridge rectifier, the diodes are arranged in such a way that the anode of one diode is always at a higher voltage than the cathode of the other diode. This means that the diodes will only conduct during the positive half of the input voltage, resulting in a pulsating DC output.

Now, onto your question about the difference between a bridge rectifier circuit and one that replaces two diodes with thyristors. As you mentioned, the latter is referred to as a half-controlled circuit because only two of the four diodes are replaced with thyristors. This allows for more control over the output voltage, as thyristors can be triggered to conduct at specific points in the input waveform. This can result in a smoother output voltage compared to a bridge rectifier. However, thyristors are more expensive and require more complex control circuits, so a bridge rectifier is often the preferred choice for simpler applications.

I hope this helps clarify the differences between these two circuits. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a bridge rectifier?

A bridge rectifier is an electronic circuit that converts alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). It is composed of four diodes arranged in a specific configuration, which allows it to rectify the AC signal.

2. How does a bridge rectifier work?

A bridge rectifier works by using the four diodes to create a path for current to flow in only one direction. During the positive half-cycle of the AC input, two diodes conduct and allow the current to flow through, while the other two diodes are reverse biased and do not conduct. During the negative half-cycle, the roles of the diodes switch, resulting in a continuous flow of current in one direction.

3. What is the output voltage of a bridge rectifier?

The output voltage of a bridge rectifier is the peak voltage of the AC input signal minus the voltage drop across the diodes. For a standard bridge rectifier, this voltage drop is typically around 0.7 volts. Therefore, the output voltage will be slightly lower than the peak voltage of the AC input.

4. Can the output voltage of a bridge rectifier be regulated?

Yes, the output voltage of a bridge rectifier can be regulated by using additional components such as a voltage regulator or a smoothing capacitor. These components can help to smooth out the voltage and provide a more stable output.

5. What are the advantages of using a bridge rectifier?

One of the main advantages of a bridge rectifier is its ability to convert AC to DC without the need for a center-tapped transformer. This makes it a more cost-effective and compact solution compared to other rectifier circuits. Additionally, the use of four diodes in the bridge configuration helps to improve the efficiency of the rectification process.