Help with Finance: Finding an Introductory Book

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finance
In summary: James Montier, Investing: Principles and Practice 8) William F. Sharpe, Financial Futures In summary, a textbook that starts from the most fundamental concepts and definitions and works its way up may be helpful.
Noxide
I need help finding a solid introductory book on finance. I know nothing about finance other than its definition on wikipedia and I want to learn more. Can anyone recommend a solid text that starts from the most fundamental concepts and definitions and works its way up?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of textbook?

Are you a mathematician? A physicist? Something else?

What type of finance work are you interested in, and why? Are you preparing yourself for any sort of university course or is it just for your own background reading?

If it's just to get acclimated the textbooks used in intro finance courses may do. Fundamentals of corporate finance by Ross, Westerfield and Jordan was the book I used when taking the undergrad course from the Ross b-school at Michigan.

There are a couple of really interesting follow up type books that may be helpful. There's Fabozzi's Bond Markets, Analysis, and Strategies as well as Hull's Options, Futures, and other derivatives. Fabozzi's book is really interesting because he has a lot of discussion on mortgage backed securities in there.

These may or may not be enough to meet your needs. I doubt these are at really complicated levels because I know they're used at schools like Michigan and Michigan State in the undergraduate business curriculum.

Last edited:
If you are looking for inspirations...these are the top ones:
1) How I became a Quant : Stories of 25 Top Quants
2) My life as a Quant, by Emmanual Derman
3) Working the Street by Erik Banks
4) Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis
5) Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
6) The Complete Guide to Capital markets for Quantitative Professionals
7) Nerds on Wall Street: Math, Machines and Wired Markets by David J. Leinweber
8) Physicists on Wall Street and Other Essays on Science and Society by Jeremy Bernstein

To know Financial Engineering as a subject, you can surf through these:
1) Martin Baxter & Andrew Rennie, Financial Calculus: An Introduction to Derivative Pricing
2) Jamil Baz and George Chacko, Financial Derivatives
3) Salih Neftci, Introduction to the Mathematics of Financial Derivatives
4) Steven Shreve, Stochastic Calculus for Finance I, Stochastic Calculus for Finance II
5) Paul Wilmott, Derivatives: The Theory and Practice of Financial Engineering
6) Paul Wilmott, Wilmott's Quantitative Finance (three volumes)

I am not an expert in finance. However, I can provide some general advice on finding an introductory book on finance.

Firstly, it is important to determine your specific goals and interests in learning about finance. This will help guide your search for the right book. For example, are you interested in personal finance, corporate finance, or a specific aspect of finance such as investments or budgeting?

Once you have identified your specific interests, you can start researching books that align with those topics. You can search online for "introductory finance books" or visit your local library or bookstore to browse their selection. It may also be helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from friends or colleagues who have a background in finance.

When evaluating potential books, look for ones that have clear and concise explanations, as well as practical examples and exercises to reinforce your understanding. It may also be beneficial to choose a book written by an author with expertise in the field of finance.

Finally, keep in mind that finance is a constantly evolving field, so it may be helpful to choose a book that has been recently published or has been updated to reflect current trends and practices. Good luck in your search for an introductory finance book.

What is finance?

Finance is the management of money and other financial resources. It involves making decisions about how to invest and allocate funds in order to achieve certain financial goals.

Why is it important to have a basic understanding of finance?

Having a basic understanding of finance can help individuals and businesses make informed financial decisions, manage their money effectively, and plan for the future. It can also help prevent financial issues such as debt and bankruptcy.

What are some good introductory books about finance?

Some good introductory books about finance include "Finance for Non-Financial Managers" by Gene Siciliano, "Personal Finance for Dummies" by Eric Tyson, and "The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness" by Dave Ramsey.

Do I need to have a background in math or economics to understand finance?

While a background in math or economics can be helpful in understanding finance, it is not necessary. Many introductory books on finance are written in a way that is accessible to individuals with little to no prior knowledge in these subjects.

Can learning about finance benefit me in my personal life?

Yes, learning about finance can benefit individuals in their personal lives by helping them make better financial decisions, manage their money more effectively, and plan for their future financial goals. It can also provide a better understanding of economic concepts and how they impact daily life.