Integral of f over the surface of a sphere (in spherical polar coordinates)

In summary, the function f(r, \phi, \vartheta) = 3cos\vartheta produces a result of 0 when evaluated over the surface of a sphere with radius 5.
sephiseraph
I have a function f(r, [tex]\phi[/tex], [tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = 3cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex].

Evaluating the repeated integral of this function over the surface of a sphere, centered at the origin, with radius 5, I have come up with 0 as my result. I'm not sure if this is correct. I've double checked my calculations, and tried subdividing the surface S into smaller subsections and summing the integrals of each section, and I get the same result. Intuitively it makes some sense that the answer would be 0 since cos[tex]\var{theta}[/tex] takes on values either side of 0 for [tex]\vartheta[/tex] in the intervals [0, pi] and [pi, 2pi].

Still, for some reason I'm uncomfortable with this result. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the repeated integral of f over the surface S with respect to dA, where dA is the limit of the small areas on S, I used the fact that [tex]dA = R^2 sin\theta \,d\phi \,d\theta[/tex].

From there I calculated:

[tex]
\int \int_{S} f dA = \int^{\pi}_{0} \int^{2\pi}_{0} (3cos\theta 5^2 sin\theta) \, d\phi \, d\theta

= \int^{\pi}_{0} \int^{2\pi}_{0} (75 cos\theta sin\theta) \, d\phi \, d\theta

= \int^{\pi}_{0} [ 75 \phi cos\theta sin\theta ]^{2 \pi}_{0} \, d\theta

= 150\pi \int^{\pi}_{0} cos\theta sin\theta \, d\theta

= 150\pi [(1/2) sin^2\theta]^{\pi}_0
[/tex]

... which of course equals 0 as [tex]sin\pi = sin0 = 0[/tex].

It looks correct to me.

For any point on the surface of the sphere, [itex](\phi, \theta)[/itex] (you are using "engineering" notation here: [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are reversed from what would be in a mathematics text) the diametrically opposite point is [itex](2\pi- \phi, \pi- \theta)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\pi- \theta)= -cos(\theta)[/tex]. Your function is "anti-symmetric" so its integral over the entire surface of the sphere is 0. The integral over any region around a given point is canceled by the integral over its diametrically opposite point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help.

1. What is the formula for calculating the integral of a function over the surface of a sphere in spherical polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating the integral of a function f over the surface of a sphere in spherical polar coordinates is:

∫∫∫ f(r, θ, φ) r² sin(θ) dr dθ dφ

where r, θ, and φ represent the radial, azimuthal, and polar coordinates, respectively.

2. How do you convert a function from Cartesian coordinates to spherical polar coordinates?

To convert a function from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical polar coordinates (r, θ, φ), the following formulas can be used:

r = √(x² + y² + z²)

θ = arccos(z / r)

φ = arctan(y / x)

3. Can the integral of f over the surface of a sphere be solved using a different coordinate system?

Yes, the integral can also be solved using cylindrical coordinates or other coordinate systems, but the formula may differ depending on the coordinate system used. However, the concept of integrating over the surface of a sphere remains the same.

4. What is the significance of the sin(θ) term in the integral formula?

The sin(θ) term is necessary because it takes into account the change in surface area as the distance from the origin increases. As the distance increases, the surface area of the sphere also increases, and the sin(θ) term accounts for this change.

5. How is the integral of a function over the surface of a sphere related to the volume of the sphere?

The integral of a function f over the surface of a sphere is equal to the volume of the sphere multiplied by the average value of the function over the surface. This relationship is known as the Divergence Theorem and is used in many applications in physics and engineering.