Is Principles of Mathematics a Good Book for Learning Calculus from Scratch?

In summary: Thanks for the recommendations! In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for a good calculus book that starts from the beginning and also explains the theory behind differentiation and integration. While there may not be a book that assumes no prior knowledge, options such as "Practical Analysis in One Variable" by Estep and "Basic Mathematics" by Lang were suggested. Another recommendation was "Principles of Mathematics" by Allendoefer, which covers various foundational topics leading up to calculus.
Darth Frodo
Can anyone recommend a good calculus book that starts from the very beginning and also explains the theory behind differentiation and integration. If it were to go from HS to Freshman year that would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such book, I fear. Every book will assume some knowledge, some books will require more knowledge than others.

A book I like is "Practical Analysis in One Variable" by Estep. It goes over integers and rational number arithmetic and stuff, so you could say that it doesn't assume very much.

In any case, let me also recommend you "Basic mathematics" by Lang. This book contains literally everything you need to know in order to start calculus.

Great! Thanks micromass! Yeah I already picked up Lang's book based on your numerous recommendations! I also wrote down that calculus book from reading your blogs, just wasn't sure if it was a good starting point.

Thanks again! Very helpful as always!

there is such a book!

Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer

This is the book that first got me into mathematics. It covers everything from functions, counting, induction, building up to calculus. And it is also a fairly rigorous book ( has delta-epsilons )

Last edited:
wisvuze said:
there is such a book!

Principles of Mathematics by Allendoefer

This is the book that first got me into mathematics. It covers everything from functions, counting, induction, building up to calculus. And it is also a fairly rigorous book ( has delta-epsilons )

Ooh, sounds like an exciting book. I need to check it out.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies change and motion, and is used to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.

2. Why is a Calculus book from scratch important?

A Calculus book from scratch is important because it provides a comprehensive and organized introduction to the subject, allowing readers to develop a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques of Calculus.

3. Who is the target audience for a Calculus book from scratch?

The target audience for a Calculus book from scratch includes students and professionals in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics, who need to use Calculus in their studies or work.

4. What topics are typically covered in a Calculus book from scratch?

A Calculus book from scratch typically covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and techniques for solving various types of problems.

5. How can one benefit from studying a Calculus book from scratch?

Studying a Calculus book from scratch can help one develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and gain a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in various fields.