What size inductance for a flyback transformer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for the output of a flyback transformer and how the inductance does not affect the equation as long as the flyback operates in continuous mode. However, there is a need to determine the optimum primary inductance for a certain output voltage and power level, as an ideal inductor does not exist. The conversation also mentions the effects of having a too high or too low inductance value.
bitrex
I'm looking over some equations for the output of a flyback transformer (essentially the same as for a buck-boost converter) and I notice that as long as the flyback operates in the continuous mode, the inductance doesn't enter into the equation. Of course since no inductor is ideal, there must be a way to determine the optimum primary inductance for a certain output voltage and power level. How would one go about doing this? Thanks for any advice!

Edit: I've done a little more reading and I think I have some idea - if the inductor value is too high, the current through the inductor will not rise fast enough to provide enough current for the load during the switching period and there will be excessive losses in the winding resistance, and if the inductance is too low the core will saturate at too low a current. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You didn't get a reply earlier because you answered your own question. :-)

1. What is a flyback transformer?

A flyback transformer is a type of transformer that is used in electronic circuits to convert high voltage, low current power to low voltage, high current power. It is commonly used in applications such as switching power supplies and CRT televisions.

2. Why is the size of inductance important for a flyback transformer?

The size of inductance is important for a flyback transformer because it determines the amount of energy that can be stored and transferred. Too little inductance can result in inefficient energy transfer, while too much inductance can cause high voltage spikes that can damage the circuit.

3. How do you calculate the required inductance for a flyback transformer?

The required inductance for a flyback transformer can be calculated using the formula L = (V x D) / (f x A), where L is the inductance in Henrys, V is the output voltage, D is the duty cycle, f is the frequency in Hertz, and A is the area of the core in square meters.

4. What happens if the inductance of a flyback transformer is too low?

If the inductance of a flyback transformer is too low, it can result in inefficient energy transfer and can cause the transformer to overheat. This can lead to a decrease in the lifespan of the transformer and potentially damage the circuit.

5. How can you adjust the inductance of a flyback transformer?

The inductance of a flyback transformer can be adjusted by changing the number of turns in the primary and secondary windings, or by using a different core material with a different permeability. Additionally, adding or removing shunt capacitors can also help in adjusting the inductance of the transformer.