Relationship between velocity of wheel and car

In summary, the conversation discusses a car designed to be powered by a falling mass. The speaker has worked out the angular velocity of the wheel and is questioning whether this represents the velocity of the entire car or if it needs to be multiplied by 4. The responder clarifies that the right hand side of the energy equation should account for the total energy of the car, including the rotational kinetic energy of each wheel and the translational kinetic energy of the car. The speaker then explains their calculations and how they plan to use the relationship between velocity and rotational speed to find the rotational speed of the wheel.
dan38
So I've designed a car which is powered by a falling mass.
Using Energy Questions, i.e. mgh = 0.5*I*w2
I've worked out the angular velocity of the wheel; so my question is whether this represents this velocity of the whole car or do I need to multiply this value by 4?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi dan38! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
dan38 said:
Using Energy Questions, i.e. mgh = 0.5*I*w2
I've worked out the angular velocity of the wheel; so my question is whether this represents this velocity of the whole car or do I need to multiply this value by 4?

your RHS needs to be the total energy of the car, ie 4 times the rotational kinetic energy of each wheel, plus the ordinary translational kinetic energy of the car-plus-wheels :wink:

ohh i see, so basically we have mass attached to a string connected to a rotating skewer with two wheels on either side.
so my workings would be:
mgh = 0.5*m*v2 + 4*0.5*I*w2

Where v = Speed of Car and m = Mass of Car
w = Rotational Speed of Wheels

And by figuring out the speed of the string, I can use the relationship v = w*r to find "w" of the wheel?
:D

1. What is the relationship between the velocity of a wheel and the overall speed of a car?

The velocity of a wheel is directly related to the speed of a car. As the wheel rotates, it pushes the car forward, and the faster the wheel spins, the faster the car will move.

2. Does the size of a wheel affect the velocity of a car?

Yes, the size of a wheel can affect the velocity of a car. A larger wheel has a greater circumference, which means it will cover more distance with each rotation. This can result in a higher velocity for the car.

3. How does friction impact the relationship between wheel velocity and car speed?

Friction plays a significant role in the relationship between wheel velocity and car speed. As the wheel turns, it creates friction with the road, which can cause the car to slow down. This is why it is important to have well-maintained wheels and tires to reduce friction and maintain a consistent speed.

4. Can the velocity of a car be increased by increasing the velocity of the wheels?

Yes, increasing the velocity of the wheels can increase the overall speed of a car. However, there are other factors that can also affect the speed of a car, such as the engine power and aerodynamics.

5. How does the velocity of a wheel affect the handling and control of a car?

The velocity of a wheel can impact the handling and control of a car. A higher wheel velocity means the car will cover more distance in a shorter amount of time, which can make it more difficult to control. This is why it is important to maintain a consistent and safe speed while driving.