Fermi energy and Fermi momentum from first principles

In summary, ABINIT is a software used for modeling solids and obtaining energies over many k-points. It also prints out a Fermi energy, which is related to Fermi momentum. The Fermi energy can be calculated by converting the k resolved electronic structure into a density of states and populating the available states with valence electrons. This can be done without using any fancy software, as shown in the first few chapters of ashcroft and mermin solid state.
sidiq
Hi everyone!

I run the software ABINIT. It allows one to model solids as a plane-wave pseudopotential. Since it is based on first principles DFT, we are able to obtain the energies over many k-points. This would give us a band structure.

Besides this, the calculation would print out a Fermi energy and Fermi energy is related to Fermi momentum as given in scienceworld.wolfram. com/physics/FermiMomentum.html

My first question is How does ABINIT obtain the Fermi energy? Secondly, can I directly convert ABINIT's Fermi energy with the Fermi momentum as given in the above link?

I am the first to admit that I should post this question in abinit forums. Unfortunately, support is a little slow there. I am simply banking on someone who has worked with these kinds of codes before and might have some idea how the Fermi energy was calculated in terms of k-points and energies. Thanks so much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without having used any fancy software, you can numerically crunch the fermi energy from the band structure. A simple version of this is shown in the first few chapters of ashcroft and mermin solid state for a free electron gas.

I would start off by converting the k resolved electronic structure into the density of states, and then populate the available states with your valence electrons, starting with the lowest energy first, until you run out of available electrons.

1. What is the concept of Fermi energy and Fermi momentum?

The Fermi energy and Fermi momentum are fundamental concepts in solid state physics that describe the energy and momentum of the highest energy electron in a system at absolute zero temperature. They are critical in understanding the electronic properties of materials.

2. How are Fermi energy and Fermi momentum calculated from first principles?

Fermi energy and Fermi momentum can be calculated using theoretical models such as the free electron model or the band structure model. These models take into account the atomic and electronic structure of the material to determine the energy and momentum of the highest energy electron.

3. What factors affect the value of Fermi energy and Fermi momentum?

The value of Fermi energy and Fermi momentum is affected by the number of electrons in the system, the strength of the electron-electron interactions, and the temperature of the system. Changes in these factors can result in a shift in the Fermi energy and momentum.

4. How does Fermi energy and Fermi momentum relate to the Fermi surface?

The Fermi surface is a boundary in momentum space that separates the occupied and unoccupied energy states at absolute zero temperature. The Fermi energy is the energy of the electrons on the Fermi surface, while the Fermi momentum is the momentum at which the electrons reside on the Fermi surface.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding Fermi energy and Fermi momentum?

Understanding Fermi energy and Fermi momentum is crucial in predicting the electronic and magnetic properties of materials. It is also important in fields such as semiconductor physics, superconductivity, and thermoelectrics. Additionally, this knowledge is essential in the development of new materials for technological applications.