Finding the Fermi Level with Theoretical Modelling

In summary, the conversation discusses theoretical modeling for a 1D system with parabolic energy bands and an input parameter of the number of electrons. The goal is to find a closed form expression for the Fermi level based on the electron density. The equation of state for an ideal gas can be used to calculate this, but it requires solving numerically.
aaaa202
I'm making some theoretical modelling for a system, which is effectively 1d in the sense that it is much longer the wide. This means (like in model for quantized conductance) that the energy bands are parabolas with a spacing equal to the energy difference between the ground state, first excited state, second excited state etc. (see attached figure).
Now an input parameter in my script is the number of electrons in the system and from that I wish to calculate the fermi level of the system. This is however giving me some trouble.
You can start from the assumption that only the first band is populated. Then calculate fermi level from that and if you find that this level is above where the second band starts I need to correct for this. But this becomes an infinite process, since the correction then needs to be corrected etc.
Therefore I ask you people out there. Is there any way, given the total number of electrons for the system, that I could find a closed form expression for the fermi level of the system?
Also the input parameter in my script is actually the electron density in the system rather than the total number of electrons. Is there a way to use this rather than the total number of electrons to calculate the fermi level?

Attachments

• fermilevel.gif
    fermilevel.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
I am thinking the best way would be to make a closed form expression for the fermi level depending on the electron density. I have tried this, but without success.A:In 1D, the Fermi energy is the same as the chemical potential $\mu$. This can be calculated from the particle density $n$ and the bandstructure using the equation of state of an ideal gas:$$\frac{n}{L} = \int_{-\infty}^{\mu/2t} dk \, \frac{1}{\pi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-2\cos(2t)}}$$where $L$ is the length of the system.This can be solved numerically using any root finding algorithm.

1. What is the Fermi Level?

The Fermi Level is a concept in physics that refers to the energy level at which electrons in a material have a 50% chance of being occupied. It is also known as the chemical potential or the electrochemical potential.

2. Why is it important to find the Fermi Level?

The Fermi Level is important because it helps us understand the electronic and optical properties of materials. It is also a crucial parameter in determining the behavior of electrons in a material, such as their conductivity and energy distribution.

3. How is the Fermi Level found with theoretical modelling?

The Fermi Level can be found through theoretical modelling by using equations and calculations based on the band structure and electronic properties of a material. This involves taking into account factors such as temperature, electron interactions, and external fields.

4. What are some common methods used in theoretical modelling to find the Fermi Level?

Some common methods used in theoretical modelling to find the Fermi Level include Density Functional Theory (DFT), Hartree-Fock approximation, and Many-Body Perturbation Theory. These methods involve solving mathematical equations and using computer simulations to determine the Fermi Level.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the Fermi Level with theoretical modelling?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding the Fermi Level with theoretical modelling. These include the accuracy of the models and assumptions used, as well as the complexity of the calculations involved. In addition, experimental data is often needed to validate the results obtained from theoretical modelling.