Need good books on calculus for self study

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior who wants to study Calculus on their own. They have a strong base in mathematics and are currently learning the basics of calculus from a book. They want to study everything from basic calculus to multivariable calculus and are looking for recommendations for books that are easy to understand and have a lot of practice problems. They do not want to take a calculus course in high school but are willing to study at a local community college. They are also looking for a text that emphasizes both theory and real-world applications and is rigorous and proof-based.
potmobius
Hello, I'm about to be a high school senior next year, and I want to study Calculus on my own. I have a strong base in mathematics, and I'm self motivated. I am currently learning the basics of calculus from a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Calculus", and I'll be done with it in a few days. Now, I want to actually study the hardcore calculus that freshmen-sophomore college courses offer. What do I need to know before I start studying that? Do I need to know the stuff they teach in Calculus AB and BC? or does college freshmen-sophomore level calculus cover the same stuff? All in all, I want to study everything from Basic Calculus (which is hopefully everything covered in the book that i mentioned before) upto Multivariable Calculus. Do you recommend any good books that are easy to understand, explains concepts really well, and has a lot of practice problems? btw, I want to study this before school starts, so please don't tell me to take a calculus course in high school... I would take one in a local community college, but I already have summer school for another advance course. Help would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hubbard/Hubbard's "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms" is a fun text with a lot of exercises that emphasises both theory and real-world applications. You can also make your knowledge of single-variable calculus more solid by going through at least one of the masterpieces of the genre: Spivak's "Calculus", Courant's "Differential and Integral Calculus", or Apostol's "Calculus". Each one of these books will leave you wanting for nothing more in regards to rigor and proof. No statement is left to analogy or hand-waving.

1. What are some good books to learn calculus for self study?

Some good books for self-study of calculus are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "The Calculus Lifesaver" by Adrian Banner, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson.

2. Are there any calculus books specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are many calculus books designed for self-study, such as "Calculus for Dummies" by Mark Ryan and "Calculus: A Complete Introduction" by Paul Abbott.

3. What are the key topics that should be covered in a good calculus book for self-study?

A good calculus book for self-study should cover topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus. It should also include exercises and practice problems to reinforce understanding.

4. Are there any online resources or videos that can supplement my self-study of calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources and videos available for self-study of calculus. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes.

5. How can I ensure that I am understanding and retaining the material while self-studying calculus?

To ensure understanding and retention while self-studying calculus, it is important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, solving practice problems, and seeking help from online resources or a tutor when needed. It is also helpful to regularly review previous material and track progress through self-assessment quizzes or tests.