Triple Integral (Calc III-Multivariable Calc)

In summary, the problem involves integrating the function f(x,y,z)=3x+8y over a solid in the first octant that is bounded by the planes x=0 and y=(sqrt(17/47))*x, contained in a sphere with radius 10 and a cone opening upwards from the origin with top radius 8. The solid is in the shape of a "slice" of an ice-cream cone. The approach suggested is to first visualize the solid and then integrate in cartesian coordinates, with the lower bound for z being the equation of the cone and the upper bound being the equation of the sphere. The lower bound for y is the equation of the paraboloid, and the upper bound is where the cone and
MhailJ

Homework Statement

Integrate the function f(x,y,z)=3x+8y over the solid given by the "slice" of an ice-cream cone in the first octant bounded by the planes x=0 and y=(sqrt(17/47))*x and contained in a sphere centered at the origin with radius 10 and a cone opening upwards from the origin with top radius 8.

Homework Equations

I know that we will use both the planes, x=0 and y=sqrt17/47. As well as the sphere (x^2+y^2+z^2=10) and the cone (x^2+y^2=8z^2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that this shape will look something like an ice cream cone, with a plan in the yz-plane and the other given plane as bounds. However, I do not understand what bounds go where. Due to the fact that it is a "slice" of an ice cream cone, does this mean spherical coordinates must be used to solve this equation? I do not quite understand what solid they want to integrate with respect to. Does this mean that the solid is IN the cone? If so, why do they give me the sphere that the cone is in- because the top of the cone ends before the sphere ends, therefore giving the "ice cream cone" type look to this figure? If someone could just give me a start with this problem in terms of what it looks like I think I can work out the rest...I know this is quite difficult to show online due to the fact that I cannot show you guys my sketch that I currently have done.

Thank you very much!
MhailJ

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks barely like some quadrant of the cone. Also, if the radius of the sphere is 10, then that would be x^2+y^2+z^2=100 right? But it won't qualitatively change the problem. Here's what I suggest: It's good to try and draw them free-hand . . . for a little while, then learn how to do them in a CAS like Mathematica. The plot below is what I did so I assume it's over that green piece in there. Red is the cone, blue is the paraboloid, green the sphere and dark-green x=0. Alright, assume that's what you want. Now, just for starters, do it in cartesian coordinates even though that will probably be too complex to integrate but that at least will help you visualize how to integrate it. So, consider:

[tex]\int\int\int f(x,y,z) dzdydx[/tex]

so at least conceptually, the dz is easy right? It's just in that green piece starting from the cone, up to the sphere:

[tex]\int\int\int_{red}^{light green} f(x,y,z) dzdydx[/tex]

I'll do the red one for you. If it's equation is [itex]x^2+y^2=8z^2[/tex], then my lower bound on z would be:

[tex]\sqrt{1/8(x^2+y^2)}[/tex]

You do the other one. Now what about y? Isn't that going from the border of the blue paraboloid to the border where the cone and sphere intersect? So the lower bound on y would be just the equation of the paraboloid in the x-y plane. You try and figure where the equations [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=10[/tex] and [itex]x^2+y^2=8z^2[/tex] interesect for the top limit. So far then we have:

[tex]\int_a^b \int_{\sqrt{17/47 x}}^{myintersection}\int_{1/8(x^2+y^2)}^{mysphere} f(x,y,z)dzdydx[/tex]

Now you try and finish it.

Attachments

• mycone.jpg
    mycone.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region using three variables.

2. How is a triple integral set up?

A triple integral is typically set up as an iterated integral, with the innermost integral representing the integration with respect to the innermost variable, followed by the integration with respect to the next variable, and so on. The limits of integration for each variable are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated over.

3. What is the difference between a triple integral and a double integral?

The main difference between a triple integral and a double integral is the number of variables involved. A double integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region using two variables, while a triple integral involves integrating over a three-dimensional region using three variables.

4. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include calculating the mass and center of mass of a three-dimensional object, determining the volume of a solid with varying density, and finding the average value of a function over a three-dimensional region.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating triple integrals?

There are several techniques for evaluating triple integrals, including the use of cylindrical and spherical coordinates, the use of symmetry to simplify the integral, and the use of transformations to change the limits of integration. Additionally, the order of integration can also affect the ease of evaluation.