Is the Curl of a Cross Product Affected by Directional Nabla?

In summary, the author discusses how the curl of a cross product can be expressed using a vector identity equation, but notes that this is not always the case due to the fact that nabla (a vector operator) only acts to the right.
PhilDSP
I have a number of books which give a vector identity equation for the curl of a cross product thus:

[tex]\nabla \times \left(a \times b \right) = a \left( \nabla \cdot b \right) + \left( b \cdot \nabla \right) a - b \left( \nabla \cdot a \right) - \left( a \cdot \nabla \right) b[/tex]

But doesn't

[tex]b \left( \nabla \cdot a \right) = \left( a \cdot \nabla \right) b[/tex]

If that is true then

[tex]\nabla \times \left(a \times b \right) = 2a \left( b \cdot \nabla \right) - 2b \left( a \cdot \nabla \right)[/tex]

Or is there something I'm missing? (Since nabla is an operator the last equation as it's written might only make sense if it was multiplied by a vector)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's easiest to see by writing it out in components:
[tex][(\nabla \cdot a) b]_i = (\partial_x a_x + \partial_y a_y + \partial_z a_z) b_i = (\partial_x a_x) b_i + (\partial_y a_y) b_i + (\partial_z a_z) b_i[/tex]
whereas
[tex][(a \cdot \nabla) b]_i = (a_x \partial_x + a_y \partial_y + a_z \partial_z) b_i = (\partial_x b_i) a_x + (\partial_y b_i) a_y + (\partial_z b_i) a_z[/tex]
and clearly these are not the same.

So while [itex]a \cdot b = b \cdot a[/itex] holds when a and b are really vectors, it is not necessarily true when one of them is a vector operator. This is one of the cases where the convenience of considering [itex]\nabla[/itex] as a vector satisfying all the rules for vectors does not apply.

Thanks CompuChip. As I was mulling it over in afterthought I felt that I should have done just what you did. The notation seems deceptive so there is no substitute for doing the analysis as you have when any kind of operator is involved.

Nabla acts only to the right. Often it helps in these kind of manipulations to use a bidirectional nabla so that more vector identities are valid. What you have done is similar to the single variable equation
uDv=vDu
which is obviously does not hold in general, but would be true if D were bidirectional.

What is the curl of a cross product?

The curl of a cross product is a mathematical operation that calculates the rotational behavior of a vector field.

How is the curl of a cross product calculated?

The curl of a cross product is calculated by taking the cross product of the gradient of the first vector with the second vector.

What is the significance of the curl of a cross product in physics?

The curl of a cross product is used in physics to represent the circulation or rotation of a vector field, which is important in understanding fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena.

What is the difference between the curl of a cross product and the curl of a dot product?

The curl of a cross product represents rotational behavior while the curl of a dot product represents the divergence of a vector field. Additionally, the cross product results in a vector while the dot product results in a scalar.

Can the curl of a cross product be zero?

Yes, the curl of a cross product can be zero if the vector field has no rotational behavior or if the two vectors are parallel. This indicates that the vector field is irrotational.