Hat current is needed to provide a modest 40 kN force? plug and chug

In summary: This is a conversation, not a question. Should I remove the formatting?In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of a new design for an electric train, where the engine is driven by the force on a conducting axle due to Earth's magnetic field. The current needed for a modest 40 kN force was calculated to be 1.3333E9 Amps, while the power lost for each ohm of resistance in the rails was found to be 1.77778e18 Watts. There was some confusion about the formulas used, but the correct answers were eventually found.
mr_coffee
Consider the possibility of a new design for an electric train. The engine is driven by the force on a conducting axle due to the vertical component of Earth's magnetic field. Current is down one rail, through a conducting wheel, through the axle, through another conducting wheel, and then back to the source via the other rail.
a) What current is needed to provide a modest 40 kN force? Take the vertical component of Earth's field to be 10 µT and the length of the axle to be 3.0 m.

b) How much power would be lost for each ohm of resistance in the rails?

THe professor gave us the formula for this one and yet it didn't work, did I mess up somthing else?
He said for part a, use the following formula:
F = I*L*E-5;
I = F/(L*E-5);
I = 4000/(3*E-5);
I = 1.3E8

I don't know why its E-5 but i also tried E-6 and still didn't work...

and for part b he said to use
P = I^2;

But really I just need to find out why part A isn't working! Thanks! :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
F=iLB=i(3)(10E-6)
F=(30E-6)i
i=40000/(30E-6)=1.3333E9 Amps

This was the right answer for me...

and
P=i^2*R
i^2=(1.333E9)^2=1.77778e18 Watts

mr_coffee said:
What current is needed to provide a modest 40 kN force?
b) How much power would be lost for each ohm of resistance in the rails?
mr_coffee said:
I = F/(L*E-5);
I = 4000/(3*E-5);

[tex]40kN \neq 4000 N[/tex]

~H

[Edit] Sorry didnt see schrodinger's post

Last edited:

What is the equation for calculating force?

The equation for calculating force is F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the formula for converting kilonewtons to newtons?

The formula for converting kilonewtons to newtons is 1 kN = 1000 N.

How much current is needed to provide a 40 kN force?

To calculate the current needed, we need to know the resistance of the circuit and use the formula V = IR, where V is voltage and R is resistance. Once we have the voltage, we can use the formula P = VI, where P is power and I is current. Then, we can rearrange the formula F = ma to find the acceleration needed to produce a 40 kN force. Finally, we can use the formula a = V/√(R^2+X^2), where X is the reactance, to solve for current.

What is "plug and chug"?

"Plug and chug" is a slang term used to describe the process of substituting values into an equation and solving for a specific variable. It is commonly used in math and science to quickly calculate a desired result.

Can any current value be used to provide a 40 kN force?

No, not any current value can provide a 40 kN force. The amount of current needed depends on factors such as the resistance and reactance of the circuit, as well as the mass and acceleration required to produce the force. These variables must be carefully calculated in order to determine the appropriate current needed to achieve a 40 kN force.