Easy shameful force and speed question

The time in the acceleration formula would be the time you apply the force to the block.In summary, the person asking the question is trying to find the speed of a block after applying a force of 10 N to it, but is unsure of how to use the acceleration formula since they do not know the time or distance. They are then informed that the time in the formula represents the time the force was applied.
scryedzxp
I haven't taken Physics in a long time, so my knowledge in Physics has pretty much faded away.
My question is, say I apply a force of 10 N to a block that has a mass of 2 kg and I want to find the velocity of the block when it's been pushed (or right after it's been pushed). How would I come about finding the speed?
I know the acceleration is 5, but all of the formulas I've looked at involved change in distance and time, and I don't know any of those.
:redface: Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the definition of acceleration: the change in velocity per unit time. The speed of the block depends on how fast it was going initially and on how long you apply the force.

Oh.. it's how long I applied the force to the block? So, if I apply the force for 5 seconds the time in "a = delta v/ delta t" would be 5? Thank you.

That's right.

1. What is easy shameful force and speed question?

Easy shameful force and speed question refers to a basic physics concept that involves the application of force to an object to produce a change in its speed or velocity.

2. What is the relationship between force and speed?

The relationship between force and speed is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration and subsequent increase in speed will be.

3. How is force measured?

Force is measured using the standard unit of measurement known as the Newton (N). This unit is defined as the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

4. How does friction affect force and speed?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can act to decrease an object's speed. This means that when an object is moving, the force of friction will act in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down. Therefore, friction can decrease the overall force applied to an object and subsequently affect its speed.

5. Can force and speed be manipulated?

Yes, force and speed can be manipulated through various means such as changing the amount of force applied, reducing friction, or altering the mass of the object. This is the basis of many scientific experiments and practical applications in fields such as engineering and sports.