Questions to ask about the IEEE

• Thread starter qwerty321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ieee
In summary, the IEEE is an organization that provides members access to journals, publications, and other resources. Paid memberships are available, and members also have access to various discounts and benefits through various divisions.
qwerty321
Hello..i have 2 questions to ask about the IEEE,so if someone czn help me,please tell me so i can PM him the questions
10x

Engineering news on Phys.org

The IEEE name was originally an acronym for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. Like many other organizations, IEEE is known by the 4 letters, IEEE, just as General Electric became known as GE, or International Business Machines is now referred to as IBM, and so on.

About IEEE - http://www.ieee.org/web/aboutus/home/index.html

Membership - http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/home/index.html

Please ask questions in the forum, since others might have similar questions.

I need guidance on how to use IEEE. I joined IEEE on entering my college. I got an IEEE membership and now all I have access to is abstract of the papers. It requests me to buy the paper. Can anyone help me and give me advice on how to use my IEEE membership. So far with the limited access I don’t have much use. I am keen on knowing how I get complete access. My college library has access to all the papers and I download papers through it but now since I am away from my college I find it difficult. Can anyone pls explain me how it all works and how to make use of IEEE as a tool for research.

When I was in IEEE, with the membership, one would get a few publications, which were included with that membership. There was a basic membership, but one could also join one of the many divisions (or subdivisions). The division memberships cost extra beyond the IEEE membership, but one would get certain journals free (usually the transactions of that division) and others at a discount. I recommend contacting IEEE membership services by phone or email regarding your question about membership benefits.

ieee has a LOT of societies. i think generally, paid membership to anyone society gives you a subscription to its journal, but i don't know about back-issue access. haven't been a member since online journals became the norm.

1. What is the IEEE and what does it stand for?

The IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) is a professional organization dedicated to advancing technology and innovation in the fields of electrical engineering, electronics, telecommunications, computer science, and related disciplines. It is the world's largest technical professional organization and stands for "Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers."

2. What are the benefits of joining the IEEE?

Joining the IEEE provides access to a vast network of professionals in your field, opportunities for career development and advancement, access to cutting-edge research and publications, and the chance to participate in conferences and events to expand your knowledge and skills.

3. How do I become a member of the IEEE?

You can become a member of the IEEE by filling out an online application on the IEEE website. There are different membership levels available, including student, professional, and corporate memberships. Membership fees vary depending on your location and level of membership.

4. What is the role of IEEE in setting technical standards?

The IEEE plays a crucial role in setting technical standards for various industries. As a professional organization, it brings together experts from different fields to develop and promote standards that facilitate technological advancements and ensure compatibility and interoperability. These standards are widely used in industries such as telecommunications, power and energy, and healthcare.

5. How can I get involved in IEEE activities and initiatives?

There are many ways to get involved in IEEE activities and initiatives. You can join a local IEEE chapter or student branch, volunteer for committees and conferences, participate in technical activities such as standards development, or contribute to IEEE publications and research. You can also attend IEEE events and conferences to network and learn about the latest developments in your field.