Challenges and Solutions for Measuring Microamp DC Current with Hall Sensors

• Thread starter EE4me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, a sensor in the microamp range may be difficult to find, but there are other options available.
EE4me
TL;DR Summary
Are there commercial hall sensors that can detect current in the microamp range?
I have been looking for sensors to detect DC current in the microamp range. I've been looking into hall sensors. I found an IEEE papers talking about one they designed, so I'm not too sure they're commercially available in that low of a current range. I haven't found any on DigiKey anyway. I know it gets harder to measure accurately as the signals get smaller. Is there any other reason sensors on the market don't seem to go this low? Or does anyone know or any that can detect this low? Ideas are greatly appreciated.

I will be inserting this on the return line so it can be low voltage.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe these guys https://www.lem.com/. Not really uA though, more like mA. You can increase the sensitivity with multiple turns through the core.

Likes EE4me
I assume you are needing isolation.

Of course you could build your own with an isolated PS, a sense resistor, and an isolated instrumentation amp. It would be kind of big, and expensive, but that's how you'll get exactly what you want.

Likes EE4me
Fluxgate sensors are significantly more sensitive than a Hall effect sensors.

"For the limited 1000:1 range of around 10uA to 10mA the circuit functioned well. It allows for fully isolated measurements from DC to 10kHz or beyond."
https://community.element14.com/cha...g-a-fluxgate-magnetometer-based-current-probe

There is an evaluation board available from AliExpress for AU$65.29
DRV425EVM DRV425 Open Loop Magnetic Field Sensing Evaluation Board.
You may be able to get one direct from TI.

There is also a DRV421EVM Closed loop Magnetic Field Sensing Evaluation Board.

• Informative
Likes EE4me and Tom.G
DaveE said:
I assume you are needing isolation.

Of course you could build your own with an isolated PS, a sense resistor, and an isolated instrumentation amp. It would be kind of big, and expensive, but that's how you'll get exactly what you want.
I'll check into the LEM. 10 mA is higher than I wanted, but it's one of the higher sensitivities I've seen. I don't necessarily need isolation, I'm interested in this over a CVR since I don't have to break the circuit.

Baluncore said:
Fluxgate sensors are significantly more sensitive than a Hall effect sensors.

"For the limited 1000:1 range of around 10uA to 10mA the circuit functioned well. It allows for fully isolated measurements from DC to 10kHz or beyond."
https://community.element14.com/cha...g-a-fluxgate-magnetometer-based-current-probe

There is an evaluation board available from AliExpress for AU$65.29
DRV425EVM DRV425 Open Loop Magnetic Field Sensing Evaluation Board.
You may be able to get one direct from TI.

There is also a DRV421EVM Closed loop Magnetic Field Sensing Evaluation Board.
These are interesting. I've never heard of these, so thanks for sharing. This looks like something I may be able to use. I'd be interested in seeing what the current looks like with DC current, but it looked ok up to 10 kHz.

EE4me said:
I have been looking for sensors to detect DC current in the microamp range.
Dr Transport said:
You might be able to do it less expensively with a lock-in-amplifier.
But you would then need to chop the DC current, to convert it to AC, so you could lock to the AC component. That might eliminate a DC offset error in the magnetic field transducer.

What is a Microamp level Hall sensor?

A Microamp level Hall sensor is a type of sensor that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field at a very low current level, typically in the microamp range. It utilizes the Hall effect, which is the generation of a voltage across a conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field.

What is the purpose of a Microamp level Hall sensor?

The purpose of a Microamp level Hall sensor is to accurately measure and detect small changes in magnetic fields. It is commonly used in scientific research, industrial applications, and consumer electronics, such as in compasses and proximity sensors.

How does a Microamp level Hall sensor work?

A Microamp level Hall sensor consists of a thin strip of semiconductor material, typically made of gallium arsenide or indium arsenide, with electrical contacts on either end. When a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the strip, it causes a buildup of charge on one side, creating a voltage difference between the contacts. This voltage can then be measured and used to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

What are the advantages of using a Microamp level Hall sensor?

One of the main advantages of a Microamp level Hall sensor is its high sensitivity to small changes in magnetic fields. It is also a non-contact sensor, meaning it does not need physical contact with the object being measured. Additionally, it has a wide operating temperature range and is relatively inexpensive compared to other types of sensors.

What are some common applications of Microamp level Hall sensors?

Microamp level Hall sensors have a wide range of applications, including magnetic field mapping, current measurement, and position sensing. They are also commonly used in electronic compasses, automotive sensors, and in the detection of magnetic particles in biomedical research. Additionally, they can be used in consumer electronics such as smartphones and laptops for features like auto-rotation and proximity sensing.