Physics for Math Majors: Advice for Applying Math to Physical Problems

• Thread starter epr2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: This book has a lot of applications in different fields and it really helped me to better understand the equations.
epr2008
Ok, so last year was my junior year in applied mathematics, and I decided to declare a second major in physics. My problem has never been the math at all, but rather its physical interpretations. University physics was a breeze, however, even then I did notice that towards the end conceptually I was lost at some points. I took a course in Modern Physics last semester which was heavily conceptual, and although I received a B, I really didn't feel like I earned it. This semester I am taking classical mechanics, astrophysics, and thermal dynamics and statistical mechanics.

Now, I have taken tons of math courses: calc sequence up to real and some functional analysis, abstract algebra, complex analysis, ODE, PDE, numerical methods, stats sequence, and I have self taught my way through a point-set topology and an algebraic topology book. And this semester I'm taking an applied math course that focuses on biological processes and modeling so really its more of a course in difference equations and non-linear differential equations.

I have two major problems. First of all even after learning all of those techniques from all of those math courses, I don't really know when to apply them in physics. Sometimes I don't even know where to begin on a problem at all. And I also have a difficult time inferring the physical meanings of the equations.

For example, in classical mechanics, most of the material covered would be a lot simpler and the equations more concise if you used complex variables instead of vectors, such as circular motion, motion of charged particles, etc. I mean realistically any vector quantity can be described in terms of a complex variable even if in some cases its not efficient to do so. My problem is that I was never taught how to do such a thing.

The weird thing is that in my applied math class I do know when and what techniques to apply which is basically the same thing in a different setting. So I was thinking that maybe I am just having trouble understanding it from a physicists point of view? There are plenty of math methods for physicists books that I have looked at, but all of them say they have applications which turns out to be like one chapter on one specific physical phenomenon. And what they really are is a condensed encyclopedia on solving different types of equations.

So I was wondering could anyone help me out by either recommending a book or some guidance in general?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I took introductory physics I applied equations instead of thinking the problems though. It really hit me when I got to classical mechanics and all I could do was glare at the pages and wonder how I could set up the problem. It sounds like you might be in a similar scenario.

I ended up going back through the mechanics sections in my introductory physics textbook and taking the time to understand what the equations actually meant and where they were applicable.

1. What is the difference between physics and math?

Physics is the study of the natural world and its behavior through the use of mathematical equations and experiments. Math, on the other hand, is the study of numbers, quantity, and structure.

2. How can math be applied to physical problems?

Math can be used to create precise and accurate models of physical systems, which can be used to predict how those systems will behave. By using mathematical equations, we can understand and solve complex physical problems.

3. Why is it important for math majors to have a good understanding of physics?

Having a strong foundation in physics can help math majors better understand the real-world applications of the mathematical concepts they are learning. It can also open up career opportunities in fields that require a combination of math and physics knowledge.

4. What are some common challenges for math majors when studying physics?

One common challenge for math majors is learning to apply abstract mathematical concepts to real-world physical problems. Another challenge is understanding the physical intuition behind mathematical equations and models.

5. How can math majors prepare themselves for success in physics courses?

Math majors can prepare for success in physics courses by focusing on developing a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They can also practice applying mathematical concepts to physical problems and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, to supplement their learning.