What iron-salts will dissolve in water?

In summary, the researcher is trying to degrade a solid organic waste sample using bacteria, but there is no degradation observed. Ferrous sulfate is not effective in dispersing the solid waste and it may be depleting other nutrients from the media.
CYP450
So I've been doing biochem research on bacterial biodegradation of exotic organic compounds. Based on a lot of research I've done, a lot of biodegradation pathways involve step-by-step mono-oxygenation reactions catalyzed by Cytochrome P450 enzymes (which contain a ferrous heme group) and redox partners (usually iron-sulfur proteins).

I've been incubating bacteria in liquid media with samples of solid organic waste generated by our university's undergraduate organic chemistry lab as a sole carbon source, but there was no degradation. Then I looked at the chemical profiles of the media I was using and found there was no iron in them.

I tried adding tiny amounts of Ferrous Sulfate (FeSO4) to the liquid solution but it quickly precipitates; even a few sand-sized grains per mL and these white cloudy chunks forms and it looks like tiny specs of rusty iron fall to the bottom. I tried adjusting the pH of the solution to prevent precipitation but it didn't work.

Is anyone aware either of an iron-salt that will dissolve in water? And if not, how can I get ferrous sulfate to evenly dissolve in water without clouding or precipitation?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
So, there are two things one should consider up front.

If the organic waste you're trying to degrade is truly solid and not porous, you might be dealing with a matter of kinetics. The bacteria can - presumably - only eat away at what is presented at the surface. If you were to disperse the solid waste, you'd increase the surface area accessible to the bacteria and their enzymological assault.

The organic waste is stated to be solid. How certain are you that it is not mixing into some extent? This can non-trivially change the composition of the liquid media. I know something like ferric chloride can tolerate some polar organic solvents pretty well, but I doubt it does as well with non-polar organics. If you feel the need to supplement with iron, I would add it before adding the organic waste so the bacteria have time to take it up. Personally, when I prepare defined bacterial growth media, I use ferric chloride - no problems with solubility in water in my experience growing cells in this manner for over a decade now.

Ferrous iron will very quickly oxidize to Ferric near neutral pH. I've seen papers using Ferric Chloride and I have used FeSO4NH4 + Citrate when supplementing minimal media with Iron.

Yanick said:
Ferrous iron will very quickly oxidize to Ferric near neutral pH. I've seen papers using Ferric Chloride and I have used FeSO4NH4 + Citrate when supplementing minimal media with Iron.
In this media one is using the citrate as a complexing agent that keeps the Fe in solution and doesn't cause the required phosphate nutrient to precipitate out insoluble iron phosphates.

The solid waste may be depleting other nutrients than iron from your media.

Have you some idea of the possible composition of the waste? Are you confident it has the carbon content to sustain growth?

Some bio-remediations of recalcitrant hydrocarbons (aerobic) benefit by co-metabolizing an emulsified fat or oil (it allows induction of enzymes needed to attack the C-H and C-C bonds). It would make your experiment harder to blank and you may have to devise a way to collect all of the CO2 evolved (i.e BOD setups and titration of the CO2).

First of all, great job on your biochem research! It sounds like you are exploring some interesting pathways for biodegradation.

To answer your question, there are several iron-salts that can dissolve in water. Some common examples include ferrous sulfate (FeSO4), ferric chloride (FeCl3), and ferric nitrate (Fe(NO3)3). These salts can be dissolved in water by simply stirring or shaking the solution until they are fully dissolved. It is important to note that the solubility of these salts may be affected by factors such as temperature and pH.

In your case, it seems like you have already tried adding ferrous sulfate to your solution, but it is precipitating. This could be due to the low pH of your solution, as ferrous sulfate is more soluble at a higher pH. You could try adjusting the pH to a more basic level to see if that helps with the precipitation issue.

Another option could be to use a different form of iron, such as ferric chloride or ferric nitrate, which may have different solubility properties. It may also be helpful to consult with a chemist or conduct some solubility experiments to determine the optimal conditions for dissolving iron-salts in your specific solution.

Overall, it is important to keep in mind that the solubility of iron-salts can vary and may require some experimentation to find the best solution for your research. Good luck!

1. What are iron-salts?

Iron-salts are chemical compounds that contain iron and one or more other elements, such as oxygen, chlorine, or sulfur.

2. Which iron-salts are soluble in water?

Some common iron-salts that are soluble in water include iron(II) sulfate, iron(III) chloride, and iron(II) nitrate.

3. How do iron-salts dissolve in water?

Iron-salts dissolve in water through a process called hydration, where water molecules surround and separate the individual ions in the salt, allowing them to move freely in the solution.

4. What factors affect the solubility of iron-salts in water?

The solubility of iron-salts in water can be affected by temperature, pH, and the presence of other ions in the solution. Higher temperatures and lower pH levels can increase solubility, while the presence of other ions can either increase or decrease solubility depending on their chemical properties.

5. Are all iron-salts safe to dissolve in water?

No, not all iron-salts are safe to dissolve in water. Some may be toxic or corrosive, and it is important to follow safety precautions and consult with a professional before handling or disposing of any chemicals. Additionally, some iron-salts may produce a colored solution or stain surfaces, so it is important to handle them carefully to avoid any unwanted effects.