Expansion of Cos(x) in Hermite polynomials

In summary, the first three coefficients c_n of the expansion of Cos(x) in Hermite Polynomials can be found using the orthogonality of the Hermite polynomials and evaluating the corresponding integrals. Specifically, c_0 = 1/sqrt(pi) and c_1 = 0 can be obtained through integration, while c_2 can be found by differentiating and substituting a=1 in the resulting expression.
Dansuer
[/itex]

Homework Statement

Find the first three coeficents c_n of the expansion of Cos(x) in Hermite Polynomials.
The first three Hermite Polinomials are:
[itex]H_0(x) = 1[/itex]
[itex]H_1(x) = 2x[/itex]
[itex]H_0(x) = 4x^2-2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve a similar problem where the function is a polynomial of finite degree, say x^3. Using the fact that H_n(x) is a polinomial of degree n, i set all the coeficent after c_3 equal to zero and equate the terms with equal degree. I find a system of linear equations and i solve it.
In this case however the taylor series of Cos(x) is a polinomial of infinite degree. I can't apply this method.

I then try to use the orthogonality of the Hermite polynomials

[itex]\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2}H_n(x)H_m(x)dx = \sqrt{\pi}2^nn!\delta_{nm}[/itex]

From the orthogonality i find the coeficents to be

[itex]c_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}2^nn!}\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2} Cos(x) dx[/itex]

[itex]c_1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}2^nn!}\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2} 2xCos(x) dx[/itex]

[itex]c_2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}2^nn!}\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2} (4x^2-2)Cos(x) dx[/itex]

Which are three hard integrals i haven't been able to solve. I can't use computer methods as I'm suppose to solve this in an exam with pen and paper. I'm stuck.

Thanks to anyone who takes a look at this.:tongue2:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can do that as the higher hermite polinomials are not zero.

I've figured the first and second integrals and they are

[itex] c_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{e}^{4}} [/itex]

[itex] c_1 =0 [/itex]

c_0 differs from your method.

i still need to find the last integral though.

Dansuer said:
I don't think you can do that as the higher hermite polinomials are not zero.

I've figured the first and second integrals and they are

[itex] c_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{e}^{4}} [/itex]

[itex] c_1 =0 [/itex]

c_0 differs from your method.

i still need to find the last integral though.

For ##c_2##, you have two integrals.

$$4\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2e^{-x^2}\cos(x)\,dx-2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\cos(x)\,dx$$

Since you already evaluated ##c_0##, you know the value of second integral. To evaluate the first integral, consider the following definite integral:
$$I(a)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a^2x^2}\cos(x)\,dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{a}e^{-1/(4a^2)}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(*)$$
You should be able to prove the above result in the same way you evaluated ##c_0##.
Differentiate both the sides of ##(*)## with respect to ##a## to obtain:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-2ax^2e^{-a^2x^2}\cos(x)\,dx=\sqrt{\pi}\frac{e^{-1/(4a^2)}(1-2a^2)}{2a^4} $$
Substitute ##a=1## and you should be able to obtain the answer after some rearrangement of the above expression.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot!:biggrin:

Dansuer said:
Thanks a lot!:biggrin:

Glad to help! :smile:

1. What are Hermite polynomials?

Hermite polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used in mathematical analysis, particularly in the expansion of functions. They are named after the French mathematician Charles Hermite.

2. How are Hermite polynomials related to cos(x)?

Hermite polynomials can be used to expand the function cos(x) into a series of polynomials. This is known as the expansion of cos(x) in Hermite polynomials.

3. What is the significance of expanding cos(x) in Hermite polynomials?

Expanding cos(x) in Hermite polynomials allows us to approximate the value of cos(x) at any point, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using Hermite polynomials for expanding cos(x)?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Hermite polynomials for expanding cos(x). For example, the series may not converge for certain values of x, and the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the number of polynomials used increases.

5. How can the expansion of cos(x) in Hermite polynomials be used in real-world applications?

The expansion of cos(x) in Hermite polynomials has various applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. It can also be used in signal processing, image recognition, and other fields where approximating functions is necessary.