How Does Hubble Take Pictures of the Universe?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hubble
In summary, the Hubble space telescope was able to take a picture of the universe that dates back further than any other. The Ultra-Deep Field observations are now in progress and involve accumulating multiple images of one small region of sky over many orbits.
Andy
I read recently on the BBC digital news service that Hubble has taken a picture of the Universe that dates back further than any other and to do this i stayed fixed on one spot of the Universe for 80 days. How is it that, it worked?

Im sure i should know why, but just can't seem to get my head round it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not sure what your question is Andy.

AFAIK, the deepest Hubble piccie was taken last year, of a small part of the outskirts of M31:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2003/15/

This was deeper than the Hubble Deep South and North work, partly because it used the new ACS, rather than the older cameras (now retired).

The Hubble Ultra-Deep Field (UDF) observations are now in progress; they involve accumulating multiple images of the one small region of sky over many, many orbits.
http://www.stsci.edu/hst/udf/index_html

Why don't they just take one piccie, in a single 80-hour 'exposure'? All kinds of reasons! Perhaps the most basic is the need to remove cosmic ray artifacts.

I'm sure he's talking about ultra deep field. A more recent release with some teaser photos: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3387919.stm

Long exposures are made because the longer you look at something, the more light you gather - its a cumulative effect. If you are looking at something 14 billion light years away, you need to look at it for a long time to get enough photons to form an image.

Yea, i was trying to ask why it is that it needed to be pointed at one spot for such along time, but it i see it clearly now, or more clearer i should say. It took that long to get enough photons to form a detailed image rather than a rough one, which would hav on required a couple of days.

I doubt that helped you either, but rest assured i now know what i set to find out.

Another satisfied customer here at PF!

I would have been satisfied if i was told to shut up and stop asking stupid questions!

lol.

1. How does Hubble capture images of the universe?

Hubble captures images of the universe using a combination of advanced technology and precise positioning. Its high-resolution camera is equipped with a primary mirror that reflects light onto a series of secondary mirrors and then onto the camera's detectors, which convert the light into electronic signals. The telescope's precise positioning system also allows it to capture incredibly detailed images of objects in space.

2. What makes Hubble's images of the universe so clear and detailed?

Hubble's images are so clear and detailed because it orbits above the Earth's atmosphere, which can distort and blur images taken from the ground. This allows for sharper and more accurate images to be captured. Additionally, Hubble's advanced technology and instruments, such as its primary mirror and cameras, play a crucial role in producing high-quality images of the universe.

3. How does Hubble's location in space affect its ability to take pictures of the universe?

Hubble's location in space is essential for its ability to take pictures of the universe. Being above Earth's atmosphere, which can distort and blur images, allows for sharper and more accurate images to be captured. Additionally, its position in low Earth orbit allows it to capture images of distant galaxies and objects that would be difficult or impossible to see from Earth.

4. What types of objects can Hubble capture images of in the universe?

Hubble can capture images of a wide range of objects in the universe, including planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. It can also capture images of more distant objects, such as quasars and supernovae. Hubble's advanced technology and precise positioning allow it to capture detailed images of these objects, providing valuable insights into the universe's vastness and complexity.

5. How does Hubble's ability to take images of the universe contribute to scientific discovery?

Hubble's ability to take images of the universe has been crucial in advancing scientific discovery. Its high-resolution images have provided scientists with a wealth of information about the universe's origins, composition, and evolution. These images have also allowed for the discovery of new objects and phenomena, leading to a better understanding of the vastness and complexity of our universe.