Chances of Getting Into Cornell, Stony Brook, UIUC for Physics Major

• Thread starter mathlete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary: Does anyone think I have a shot at getting into at least one? I'm so scared about getting rejected from all of them and having no place to go after I graduate :cry:It's okay to aim high, but you don't want to risk leaving yourself empty-handed.
mathlete
I'm a physics major at a SUNY school. I have a 3.90 GPA, got a 1380 on the GRE and expect ~750 on the GRE physics that I took today. I also have decent research experience. I know you can't really say for sure but what would my odds be for a school like Cornell, Stony Brook, or UIUC?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to some data I found, the average GRE (for enrolling students) at those schools are

Cornell ~800
UIUC ~780
Stony Brook ~800

Check out gradschoolshopper.com

I think the verbal-quant. split is also important (in particular, the verbal).

Euclid said:
According to some data I found, the average GRE (for enrolling students) at those schools are

Cornell ~800
UIUC ~780
Stony Brook ~800

Check out gradschoolshopper.com

I think the verbal-quant. split is also important (in particular, the verbal).
I had a 590/770.

After looking through all the average GRE Physics scores at some of these schools it feels like I have no shot at getting into somewhere good :cry:

Keep in mind that if those are average, it means there are people with lower scores

I thought you were already in graduate school mathlete, and I thought you were at UIUC for undergrad.

leright said:
I thought you were already in graduate school mathlete, and I thought you were at UIUC for undergrad.
No, I'm not... do I know you? :confused:

Last edited:
Also, an unrelated question since I don't want to make too many threads. From what I can see, all these graduate schools require individual recommendation forms. This seems pretty stupid to me. Do people really give their professors a shaft of recommendation forms and ask them to complete each one? I don't think i'd be comfortable applying to even 2 schools because of this (added to the fact that I've already asked for recommendation forms which I can send out through my school's service).

Can anyone "enlighten" me here?

mathlete said:
No, I'm not... do I know you? :confused:

Are you the mathlete from the genmay forum? I recall the mathlete from the genmay forum claiming that he posted on this forum.

leright said:
Are you the mathlete from the genmay forum? I recall the mathlete from the genmay forum claiming that he posted on this forum.
Hmm... not sure what you mean, I don't know what this genmay forum is?

well the head of grad school admissions here at cornell gave us a talk this year (senior physics majors) on what he looks for in applications and he said that a good gpa and research experience will be more important than a perfect GRE score anyday. From what he told us, it seems you would be the ideal candidate in his eyes and he will be running the grad school admissions this year...

Now I'm another story all together, i get very good grades in both math and physics and have taken lots of advanced classes and i expect good GRE scores from the test today, but i have no research experience at all so i don't know how schools will feel about me, despite the fact that I specifically am interested in theory rather than experiment.

Last edited:
dimachka said:
well the head of grad school admissions here at cornell gave us a talk this year (senior physics majors) on what he looks for in applications and he said that a good gpa and research experience will be more important than a perfect GRE score anyday. From what he told us, it seems you would be the ideal candidate in his eyes and he will be running the grad school admissions this year...

Now I'm another story all together, i get very good grades in both math and physics and have taken lots of advanced classes and i expect good GRE scores from the test today, but i have no research experience at all so i don't know how schools will feel about me, despite the fact that I specifically am interested in theory rather than experiment.
Thanks for that! Makes me feel better

So I'm planning on applying here so far:

Cornell
Berkeley
UIUC
University of Rochester
Georgia Institute of Technology

Does anyone think I have a shot at getting into at least one? I'm so scared about getting rejected from all of them and having no place to go after I graduate :cry:

Why not put a "safety school" or two on your list? It's fine to aim high, but you don't want to risk leaving yourself empty-handed.

1. What is the acceptance rate for physics majors at Cornell, Stony Brook, and UIUC?

The acceptance rates for physics majors vary for each university. As of 2021, Cornell has an acceptance rate of 10.9%, Stony Brook has an acceptance rate of 46%, and UIUC has an acceptance rate of 62%. It is important to note that these rates may change each year and can also vary depending on the applicant pool.

2. What GPA and standardized test scores do I need to have a good chance of getting into these universities for a physics major?

While there is no set GPA or standardized test score that guarantees acceptance, the average GPA for admitted students at Cornell is 3.9, at Stony Brook it is 3.8, and at UIUC it is 3.76. As for standardized test scores, the average ACT score for admitted students at Cornell is 34, at Stony Brook it is 30, and at UIUC it is 32. It is important to note that these are just averages and meeting them does not guarantee acceptance.

3. Are there any specific courses or extracurricular activities that can increase my chances of getting into these universities for a physics major?

While there are no specific courses or activities required for admission, it is recommended to take challenging courses in math and science, such as AP or IB courses. In terms of extracurricular activities, participating in science-related clubs or competitions, conducting research, or completing internships in the field can showcase your interest and dedication to physics.

4. Are there any other factors besides grades and test scores that are considered in the admissions process for physics majors?

Yes, universities also consider other factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and any relevant research or work experience. These components can provide insight into your character, interests, and potential as a physics major.

5. Can I apply to more than one of these universities for a physics major?

Yes, you can apply to multiple universities for a physics major. However, each university has its own application process and deadlines, so it is important to carefully review the requirements and timeline for each school. Additionally, keep in mind that each application may require additional materials such as essays or letters of recommendation, so it is important to plan accordingly and allocate enough time to complete each application thoroughly.