Exploring Circulation and Flux with Stokes' Theorem

In summary: Stokes' theorem states that the flux through a surface S is zero if and only if the curl of the function that defines the vector field is zero.
Mindscrape
Just a couple quick conceptual questions about Stokes' Theorem (maybe this belongs in the non-homework math forum?). Does Stokes' theorem say anything about circulation in a field for which the curl is zero? I would think that all it says is that there is no net circulation. Also, if F is a differentiable vector field defined in a region containing a smooth closed surface S, where S is the union of two surfaces S1 and S2, what can be said about
[tex]\iint_S \nabla \times \mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{n} d\sigma[/tex]
?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stoke's theorem (also called the "curl theorem- in mathematics "Stoke's theorem" is more general), says that
[tex]\int_S\int \nabla x \vec{f}\cdot d\vec{S}= \int_{\partial S} f\cdot d\vec{\sigma}[/tex]
where S is a surface and [itex]\partial S[/itex] is the boundary curve of that surface.

If [itex]\nabla x \vec{f}[/itex] is 0 then obviously the left side of that is 0 for any S so the right side is 0 for any closed curve. The circulation is 0.

On the other hand, a smooth closed surface has no boundary so the right side of that equation must be 0 and therefore the integral you show is 0.

Hah, I know what Stokes' theorem is, but I was looking at some vector calculus books and they had some of these concept questions in them. The first one I thought was obvious, but thought that maybe I had missed something. It was asking if there was anything special about circulation in a field whose curl is zero. I don't see anything special, other than that there could be circulation in areas, but that the net flow on any boundary would have to cancel to be zero.

The second one was meant to be a separate case. I am much more familiar with the divergence theorem, and I know that the divergence theorem would say that the flux depends on the unit normal. For Stokes' theorem it should be the similar case - that the joining of the two surfaces, and the circulation through them will depend on the unit normal vector.
[tex]\iint_{S1}\nabla \times \mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{n_1} d\sigma_1[/tex] + [tex]\iint_{S2} \nabla \times \mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{n_2} d\sigma_2[/tex]

Now that I think about it, the curl of the vector function being zero will mean that the circulation is zero if the curve is simply connected, but if it isn't simply connected then you can't know until you do the flux calculation.

1. What is Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of that surface.

2. What is the purpose of Stokes' Theorem?

The purpose of Stokes' Theorem is to provide a method for evaluating difficult surface integrals by converting them into simpler line integrals.

3. How is Stokes' Theorem used in physics?

In physics, Stokes' Theorem is used to calculate quantities such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and other physical phenomena that can be described using vector fields.

4. What are the conditions for applying Stokes' Theorem?

In order to apply Stokes' Theorem, the surface must be a closed surface, the vector field must be continuous and differentiable, and the surface and its boundary must be orientable.

5. Can Stokes' Theorem be applied to any shape or surface?

No, Stokes' Theorem can only be applied to closed surfaces. The surface must also be smooth and have a well-defined boundary in order for the theorem to be applicable.