Proving the Uniqueness of a System of Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a system of equations and asks for help in proving that it has only one solution when a is greater than 0. The person has tried looking at a function and its derivative but needs further exploration. Finally, they realize their mistake and thank everyone for their help.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
Here's a problem from one of the last (or previous of last) year, which bothers me ssssssoooooooo much. I've been working on this like a day or so, and haven't progressed very far. So, I'd be very glad if someone can give me a push on this.

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} e ^ x - e ^ y & = & \ln(1 + x) - \ln(1 + y) \\ y - x & = & a \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Prove that if a > 0, then the system of equation above has only one set of solution (x, y).
Thanks a lot. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what have you tried? I've only looked at it briefly, but it appears to always have exactly one solution.

I don't know if this help, or if you tried it, but consider this function :
F(y)=Exp(y+a)+Exp(y) - Ln(1+y+a)+Ln(1+y)
try to look up the derivative and see if you deduce anything from it.
for example if the derivative is strictly positive or negative, then you can say that there exist one solution over ]-1, infinity[ that f(y)=0
need further exploration..

Last edited:
Whoops, :blushing:, ok, I finally get it.
Did mess up with some signs. woot >"<
Thanks everyone. :)

1. How do you prove the uniqueness of a system of equations?

To prove the uniqueness of a system of equations, you need to show that there is only one set of values that satisfies all of the equations in the system. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

2. Can a system of equations have more than one unique solution?

No, a system of equations can only have one unique solution. This means that there is only one set of values that satisfies all of the equations in the system. If there are multiple solutions, the system is considered inconsistent or dependent.

3. What is the difference between a consistent and inconsistent system of equations?

A consistent system of equations has at least one unique solution, while an inconsistent system has no solutions. In other words, a consistent system can be solved, but an inconsistent system cannot.

4. How can you tell if a system of equations is dependent or independent?

A system of equations is dependent if it has infinitely many solutions. This means that the equations are essentially the same and can be simplified down to one equation. An independent system has only one unique solution.

5. What is the importance of proving the uniqueness of a system of equations?

Proving the uniqueness of a system of equations is important because it confirms that the equations accurately represent a real-life situation or problem. It also allows for the solving of the system to find a specific solution, which can then be used to make predictions or make informed decisions.