Humidity and using a telecscope

• Thread starter kurushio95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Humidity
In summary: I have a Meade Polaris 60mm telescope. Every time there's a clear night and I decide to go try and do a bit of looking, to try and get into astronomy, the lens fogs up like no one's business. Does anyone else have this problem? How'd you deal with it?In summary, you need a dew remover to take care of the problem. Hair dryers also work, but should be used sparingly as they can overheat the scope.
kurushio95
...is not fun. I have a telescope that I got when I was a lot younger. A nice (I think) little beginner telescope, a Meade Polaris 60mm. Anyway, my problem is the humidity where I live. I live in Louisiana. Everytime there's a clear night and I decide to go try and do a bit of looking, to try and get into astronomy, the lens fogs up like no one's business. Does anyone else have this problem? How'd you deal with it?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good astronomy forum (besides this one...I always get distracted by the other boards and always get put in my place with my rudimentary knowledge of astrophysics).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You can use a hair dryer if you have 120V handy. Use brief blasts of warm air. Should be fine for your scope.

It is a big problem for me. I have a big telescope (11") and even with my dew heater on, in the fall I still get covered with it eventually. But the dew heater does help.

Let the instrument acclimitize itself a few hours before use. A few minutes with a hair dryer will suffice after that.

No, it won't. Telescopes radiate heat into space just like any other object. And just like your car, the equilibrium temperature of the interior of the telescope is below ambient temperature, causing condensation well before you even see dew forming on the ground.

It works for me.

Sorry, I didn't read the second part - what I meant was that acclimation doesn't help, it hurts the situation as far as dew goes (assuming it is cooler outside than inside). Sure, a hairdryer will help get rid of dew that has formed.

Actually, with a cheap 60 mm scope, heat effects (taking it out from a warm room into the cool night air) probably wouldn't affect what you could see through it too much. Larger scopes with more mass and dimension used to take long exposure images would certainly suffer from not being acclimatized and doing so would make it much more susceptible to dew formation.

Acclimatization is not a huge issue with small [<6"] aperatures, but is an issue with larger instruments. Most people keep their scopes indoors when not in use - not a bad thing. But when anticipating an observing session, it is a good idea to let them breath in the great outdoors for a few hours. The hair dryer routine is merely a time saver and should not be overdone. Cease drying as soon as the condensation evaporates. I do understand Russ's point on that count. It is not a good idea to heat optical surfaces more than necessary to defog them.

I'm taking it from a cool, dry environment (my house) to a warm, humid environment. I'll try setting it on the back porch in the morning then look through it at night and see if that helps.

1. What impact does humidity have on telescope viewing?

Humidity can greatly affect the quality of telescope viewing. High humidity can cause water vapor to condense on the lenses, resulting in blurred images and reduced contrast. It can also cause fogging on the lenses, making it difficult to see through the telescope.

2. How should I adjust my telescope for high humidity conditions?

To minimize the impact of humidity on telescope viewing, it is important to keep the telescope and its lenses at the same temperature as the surrounding air. This can be achieved by allowing the telescope to cool down outside before use, or using a fan to circulate air around the telescope.

3. Can I use a telescope in areas with high humidity?

Yes, you can still use a telescope in areas with high humidity, but it is important to take precautions to protect the lenses and ensure the best viewing experience. Avoid using the telescope in areas with high levels of moisture, such as near bodies of water, and take steps to keep the lenses dry and at the same temperature as the surrounding air.

4. Are there any types of telescopes that are more resistant to humidity?

Generally, refracting telescopes are more resistant to humidity than reflecting telescopes. This is because refracting telescopes have sealed tubes that help prevent moisture from entering and affecting the lenses. However, it is still important to take precautions and properly maintain all types of telescopes in high humidity conditions.

5. How can I protect my telescope from humidity when not in use?

When not in use, it is important to store the telescope in a dry and cool place. Keep it covered with a dust cap to prevent moisture from entering the lenses. You can also use a dehumidifier in the storage area to help reduce humidity levels. Regularly cleaning and maintaining the telescope can also help prevent any damage caused by humidity.