Want to purchase new telescope

In summary: Nexstar 130 SLT GOTO ... almost anyone can use itIn summary, the individual is looking for a telescope to pursue their interest in astronomy. They have done self-study and have a decent knowledge of astronomy. They are looking for a telescope with a decent aperture, good for both deep space and planetary observation, and easy to transport. They have a budget of less than $500, ideally around $300. Some telescopes they have
Cr74
Hello all,

First of all thanks for taking the time to look at my post, and thanks ahead of time to those willing to answer my question.

I've always loved Astronomy and have done quite a bit of self-study over the years. I have a pair of binoculars but want to get a telescope.

I'll start by saying what I'm looking for, and provide a list of scopes I've found may meet my requirements, so the idea is for you experts out there to tell me which suits my needs best. If you have other suggestions they are, of course, welcome.

I live in a city, but near the outskirts so I can see most of the constellations and even some dimmer objects with the naked eye. So, I would highly value a scope that has a decent aperture to gather more light and help me see more DSOs. I would like one that is just as good at seeing DSOs as planets/the moon, so from what I've read I think I need something between f/6 - f/10, but am not completely set on that spec. I would also like one that's not too difficult to transport (for when I head out into the country) and also not too large as I live in a small-ish apartment. As I said I am a first-time telescope user but also have a decent knowledge of Astronomy, so keep that in mind. I am not particulary set on any type of telescope, either (refractor, reflector, etc...). Also important, I would like to spend less than 500 dollars and ideally around 300-400 or less.

So I leave you three telescopes I've found so far that may work for me, and will anxiously await your responses.

Celestron PowerSeeker 127 EQ
Orion Astroview 90mm
Orion Spaceprobe 130ST

Again, please note I am by no means limiting my choices to those above, and would welcome other suggestions.

Thanks again!

Likes 1oldman2
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi there

welcome to PF :smile:

did you read this thread at the top of the forum section you posted in ?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/planning-to-buy-a-first-telescope.391086/it gives a lot of background as to types of scopes and accessories etc

f6 + is good for planetary but not good for deep space ... low f/numbers are better for that f4.5 - f6 more lightnone of the 3 scopes you listed have your "decent aperture" requirement ... all are pretty smallDave

davenn said:
hi there

welcome to PF :smile:

did you read this thread at the top of the forum section you posted in ?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/planning-to-buy-a-first-telescope.391086/it gives a lot of background as to types of scopes and accessories etc

f6 + is good for planetary but not good for deep space ... low f/numbers are better for that f4.5 - f6 more lightnone of the 3 scopes you listed have your "decent aperture" requirement ... all are pretty smallDave

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't been researching that long but have found it frustrating and overwhelming so far. Do any specific telescopes come to mind that you would recommend?

your budget is probably the most important factor ... give us an approx. figure in 100's or 1000's of $$
The more you spend the better the system you will get ... unlike audio gear

do you ever think you mite like to get into astro photography ?
that will determine optics quality, f # and quality of the mountDave

Likes 1oldman2
Budget would be less than 500...ideally around 300.

Cr74 said:
Budget would be less than 500...ideally around 300.

OK ... they would be good, but don't expect too much from them :smile:
and that won't get you into astrophotography ( but that is a side issue in the mean time)

I would personally recommend the Celestron PowerSeeker 127 EQ or the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST
and out of those two, the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST because it is f5 rather than almost f8 that the Celestron is
The f5 will be a better all round scope for planet and deep space observing

Celestron and Orion are both good brands
my scope is a Celestron CPC925, current replacement price is over AU$5000 eeeekkkkkk

Dave

Last edited:
Can you recommend any other telescopes that are midrange?

Thanks again for your help.

Cr74 said:

is in the same league as the other 2 reflectors I commented on above

Cr74 said:

this would be a good scope, being an altitude / azimuth mount, it would be easy to set up and use
and the goto control would be great for you to find objects

Cr74 said:

This one is a serious step backwards compared to the previous 4 reflector choices

the top 3 choices, from the top would be ...

Nexstar 130 SLT GOTO

(Astromaster 130EQ

Orion Spaceprobe 130STDave

Thanks, Dave, for your insightful comments.

Do you think the Nexstar is worth the extra 250 or so euros? I think I'm leaning towards this one but I also want to make sure that I am making the right choice.

Do you think this scope is a good midrange choice? Would you recommend any others over this one for around the same price?

Cr74 said:
Do you think the Nexstar is worth the extra 250 or so euros? I think I'm leaning towards this one but I also want to make sure that I am making the right choice.

The ease of finding objects and the tracking ability make it the best buy

the no tracking of the other 2 scopes would drive you nutz after a while as an equatorial mount is difficult to aim

Cr74 said:
Do you think this scope is a good midrange choice? Would you recommend any others over this one for around the same price?

yes it's a good low - mid range choice ... mid range would be more in the $800 - 1500 and hi range up to several 1000
then you can go extreme after that and spend $8000 +++++ :wink:Dave

Really appreciate your help, Dave. I think I'll end up getting this one, but I'm still going to do a bit more research.

If you come across or think of any other scopes you believe may be a good choice for me please let me know!

Likes davenn
no probs ...

pleased to be able to help ... :smile:

1. What type of telescope should I purchase?

The type of telescope you should purchase depends on your specific interests and needs. There are three main types of telescopes: refractor, reflector, and compound. Refractor telescopes use lenses to magnify objects and are great for viewing the moon and planets. Reflector telescopes use mirrors to gather and focus light and are best for viewing deep-sky objects like galaxies and nebulae. Compound telescopes (also known as catadioptric telescopes) combine lenses and mirrors for a compact design and are versatile for both planetary and deep-sky viewing.

2. What is the ideal aperture size for a telescope?

The aperture size is the diameter of the main lens or mirror of a telescope. The larger the aperture size, the more light the telescope can gather and the clearer the images will be. The ideal aperture size for a telescope depends on what you want to observe. For viewing planets and stars, an aperture size of 4-6 inches is sufficient. For viewing fainter objects like galaxies and nebulae, a larger aperture size of 8-10 inches or more is recommended.

3. What is the difference between a manual and computerized telescope?

A manual telescope requires you to manually adjust the position of the telescope to find and track objects in the sky. A computerized telescope, also known as a GoTo telescope, has a built-in computer that can automatically find and track objects once it is aligned properly. While manual telescopes may be more affordable, a computerized telescope can save time and frustration, especially for beginners.

4. Are there any additional accessories I should purchase with my telescope?

Yes, there are a few accessories that can enhance your viewing experience with a telescope. A sturdy tripod or mount is essential for stability and ease of use. A star diagonal can help you comfortably view objects at different angles. A Barlow lens can increase the magnification of your telescope. A red flashlight can also be useful for preserving your night vision while observing.

5. How much should I budget for a new telescope?

The cost of a new telescope can vary greatly depending on the type, size, and brand. Entry-level telescopes can range from $100-$300, while more advanced telescopes can cost upwards of $1000. It is important to research and consider your needs and budget before making a purchase. It is also recommended to invest in a quality telescope that will last longer and provide better views, rather than purchasing a cheaper, lower-quality telescope.