Calc II Integration and Completing the Square

In summary, the student is struggling to complete the square and thinks that they may need to complete the square on the denominator and then factor the numerator to resemble a portion of the denominator. To get more than this, they will need to post work.
lelandsthename

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{-\frac{1}{3}x+\frac{2}{3}}{x^{2}-x+1}[/tex] dx

Homework Equations

Completing the square, partial fractions

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to complete the square to do this but I can't figure out how to do it. Also, do I need to separate the numerator in doing this?

This is the result of partial fractions so it is one of the last steps in my problem but I cannot understand how to do it. Any help would be fantastic!

Physics news on Phys.org
Complete the square on the denominator, then think about how you could factor the numerator to resemble a portion of the denominator.
To get more than this you'll need to post some work.

statdad said:
Complete the square on the denominator, then think about how you could factor the numerator to resemble a portion of the denominator.
To get more than this you'll need to post some work.
Hi statdad. Did you try it? Has an interesting result, huh? :wink:

jf

ok so I got the completing the square but how on Earth can I continue? I just don't see it...

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x-2}{(x-\frac{1}{2})^{2}+\frac{3}{4}}[/tex] dx

I think if you split it up using partial fractions, it would be better.

Not "partial fractions" because the denominator does not factor but physicsnoob93 may mean just
[tex]\frac{x-2}{(x-\frac{1}{2})^2+ \frac{3}{4}}= \frac{x}{(x-\frac{1}{2})^2+ \frac{3}{4}}- \frac{2}{(x-\frac{1}{2})^2+ \frac{3}{4}}[/tex]
The first integral requires a fairly simple substitution and the second an arctangent.

Well, I see how splitting it up makes more sense than tackling it, but I don't know what to substitute u for to get rid of both the (x - (1/2) and x. And for the arctangent, how do I go about that? I do know how to set up a trig substitution with a radical, when I must draw a triangle and find sec^2, but I am unsure in this context.

1. What is integration in Calculus II?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve, also known as the definite integral. In Calculus II, integration is used to find the antiderivative of a function, which can then be used to find the area between the curve and the x-axis.

2. What is the purpose of completing the square?

Completing the square is a technique used in integration to simplify a given expression and make it easier to solve. It involves adding and subtracting a constant to an expression to create a perfect square, which can then be integrated more easily.

3. How do you complete the square in integration?

To complete the square in integration, you first need to rearrange the expression into the form ax^2 + bx + c. Then, take half of the coefficient of the x-term (b/2) and square it. This value is then added and subtracted from the expression, creating a perfect square trinomial. The expression can then be rewritten as a perfect square and integrated using the power rule.

4. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration is used to find the general antiderivative of a function, while definite integration is used to find the specific area under a curve between two given bounds. In other words, indefinite integration results in a function, while definite integration results in a number.

5. What are some practical applications of integration and completing the square?

Integration and completing the square have many practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, integration can be used to calculate the work done by a varying force, the displacement of an object, or the growth rate of a population. Completing the square is also commonly used in solving quadratic equations and can be applied to various real-world problems involving optimization and finding maximum or minimum values.