Matrix (2 Actually) Homework: Solve 3cos(a)+cos(b)+5sin(2a)=2

• Thread starter Melawrghk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations involving cosine and sine functions. The individual has substituted variables for sines and cosines and created a matrix to solve, but is unsure if their solution is correct. They also question whether the system has a solution and suggest solving for cos(b) and substituting it into the other equations.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

#1. Solve the system:
3cos(a) + cos(b) +5sin(2a)=2
cos(a)=cos(b)+sin(2a)
7cos(a) + 13sin(2a)=-7cos(b)

The Attempt at a Solution

#1. I decided to substitute variables for sines and cosines. So I made cos(a) = x, cos(b)=y and sin(2a)=z, as a result of which, my equations now look like:
3x+y+5z=2
x-y-z=0
7z+7y+13z=0
after which I created the matrix, here is a picture of how I solved it. So I got -3/8 for "x" and entered it (it only asks for cos(a)), but it tells me I'm wrong. Am I being dumb and making some obvious error? Because I entered all equations with variable values into my calculator and they work out...
matrix-1.jpg

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

#1. Solve the system:
3cos(a) + cos(b) +5sin(2a)=2
cos(a)=cos(b)+sin(2a)
7cos(a) + 13sin(2a)=-7cos(b)

In the solution, what is the value of cos
"cos" has no value! Do you mean cos(a) or cos(b)?

The Attempt at a Solution

#1. I decided to substitute variables for sines and cosines. So I made cos(a) = x, cos(b)=y and sin(2a)=z,
You can't do that. cos(a) and sin(2a) are not independent. sin(2a)= 2sin(a)cos(a)
Are you sure the system has a solution? There are 3 equations in only two variables, a and b. In order to have a solution one equation must be dependent on the other two. (Not necessarily linearly dependent- perhaps through a trig identity.)
I think I would be inclined to solve the second equation for cos(b): cos(b)= cos(a)- sin(2a) and then substitute that into the first and third equations. Now you have two equations for the single variable, a. The third equation looks like it should become especially simple. Again, that is possible only if the two equations are dependent.

as a result of which, my equations now look like:
3x+y+5z=2
x-y-z=0
7z+7y+13z=0
after which I created the matrix, here is a picture of how I solved it. So I got -3/8 for "x" and entered it (it only asks for cos(a)), but it tells me I'm wrong. Am I being dumb and making some obvious error? Because I entered all equations with variable values into my calculator and they work out...
matrix-1.jpg

Thanks...

FAQ: Matrix (2 Actually) Homework: Solve 3cos(a)+cos(b)+5sin(2a)=2

1. What is the purpose of this homework?

The purpose of this homework is to solve the given equation and find the values of a and b that satisfy the equation.

2. How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation and then use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help you solve this equation. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to solve the equation rather than solely relying on a calculator.

4. Are there any specific steps or tips for solving this equation?

Some tips for solving this equation include using the double angle formula for sine, converting all trigonometric functions to sine and cosine, and factoring out common terms before solving for the unknown variables.

5. Is there more than one solution to this equation?

Yes, there may be multiple solutions to this equation. It is important to check your solutions and make sure they satisfy the original equation.