Solve Elliptic Integral: Tips & Ideas

By a formula ##I(a,b)=I(f(a,b),g(a,b))## and then you can iterate ##f,g##.Can you write a summary?In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral involving an elliptic integral. The speaker has tried using Mathematica and WolframAlpha but the solutions given are too complex. They suggest using the Weierstraß substitution to simplify the integral, but even then, the solution is still complicated. The speaker also mentions trying an integration by parts method, but it only leads to a recursion for the integral. The conversation ends with the speakers discussing the difficulty of obtaining a closed form solution for the integral.
Robin04
Homework Statement
##\int dx \frac{1}{\sqrt{a \sin^2{x}+b (1-\cos{x})}}##
Relevant Equations
-
I need to solve this integral which I suppose is an elliptic integral but don't know what kind, I'm not that familiar with them.
Mathematica says that it can be expressed with elementary functions and gives the solution:
## -\frac{2\, tanh^{-1}(\frac{\sqrt{2a+b}\cos{\frac{x}{2}}}{\sqrt{a+b+a\cos{x}}})\sqrt{a+b+a\cos{x}}\sin{\frac{x}{2}}}{\sqrt{2a+b}\sqrt{b-b\cos{x}+a\sin^2{x}}}##,
but I believe there is a simpler form (I need to invert it and express ##x## after), as it happened before that Mathematica gave a more complex form without being able to simplify it. Can you help me with some ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
WolframAlpha has an even uglier solution. However, I fed it with ##\sqrt{-a(\cos x + \alpha)^2+\beta}## in the denominator. To simplify it, one has to get rid of the translation at the cosine term. The Weierstraß substitution ##t:= \tan(x/2)## often helps in such situations. It turns a trigonometric integral into a rational one.

Likes Robin04
fresh_42 said:
WolframAlpha has an even uglier solution. However, I fed it with ##\sqrt{-a(\cos x + \alpha)^2+\beta}## in the denominator. To simplify it, one has to get rid of the translation at the cosine term. The Weierstraß substitution ##t:= \tan(x/2)## often helps in such situations. It turns a trigonometric integral into a rational one.
with ##\alpha = \frac{b}{2a}, \beta = 1+\frac{b}{a}+\frac{b^2}{4a^2}##
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\int dx\frac{1}{\sqrt{\beta-(\cos{x}+\alpha)^2}}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{a}}\int \frac{dt}{1+t^2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\beta-(\frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}+\alpha)^2}}##
This is how you meant it? I don't see why this is simpler. Or getting rid of ##\alpha## is the key?

Well, simpler in the sense that there is only one trig function left, not two. I would continue and simplify the rational function obtained by the tangent substitution. The integral lists of rational polynomials, with or without root, are considerably longer than those for rational functions in trig terms. Now it looks like ##\dfrac{p(t)}{\sqrt{q(t)}}##.

Likes Robin04
fresh_42 said:
Well, simpler in the sense that there is only one trig function left, not two. I would continue and simplify the rational function obtained by the tangent substitution. The integral lists of rational polynomials, with or without root, are considerably longer than those for rational functions in trig terms. Now it looks like ##\dfrac{p(t)}{\sqrt{q(t)}}##.
##\frac{2}{\sqrt{a}}\int \frac{dt}{1+t^2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\beta-(\frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}+\alpha)^2}} =##
The denominator of the integrand:
##(1+t^2)\sqrt{\beta-(\frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}+\alpha)^2} = \sqrt{(1+t^2)^2\beta-(1+t^2)^2(\frac{(1-t^2)^2}{(1+t^2)^2}+2\alpha \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}+\alpha^2)} = \sqrt{(1+t^2)^2\beta-(1-t^2)^2-2\alpha(1-t^2)(1+t^2)-(1+t^2)^2\alpha^2}=\sqrt{(\beta-\alpha^2)(1+t^2)^2-(1-t^2)^2-2\alpha(1-t^4)}=\sqrt{t^4(\beta-\alpha^2-1+2\alpha)+t^2(2\beta-2\alpha^2+2)+\beta-\alpha^2-1-2\alpha}##
If i substitute for ##t^2## then I have a cubic polynomial for which I didn't find any formula, and if the last ##2\alpha## constant would have a + sign my life would be saved but I haven't found any sign errors.

Likes Robin04
fresh_42 said:
So we have ##\gamma\displaystyle{\int} \dfrac{ds}{\sqrt{s}\cdot \sqrt{As^2+Bs+C}}## with ##s=t^2##. An integration by parts could help. Cp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...nctions#Integrals_involving_R_=_√ax2_+_bx_+_chttps://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Forme...#Integrale_die_√R_=_√(ax2_+_bx+_c)_beinhalten
There is no easy solution, since otherwise not both, Mathematica and WolframAlpha would have produced monstrous closed forms.
##\gamma\displaystyle{\int} \dfrac{ds}{\sqrt{s}\cdot \sqrt{As^2+Bs+C}}=\gamma\left[\frac{2\sqrt{s}}{\sqrt{As^2+Bs+C}}+\displaystyle{\int}ds\frac{\sqrt{s}(B+2As)}{(As^2+Bs+C)^{3/2}}\right]=\gamma\left[ \frac{2\sqrt{s}}{\sqrt{As^2+Bs+C}}+B\displaystyle{\int}ds\frac{\sqrt{s}}{(As^2+Bs+C)^{3/2}}+2A\displaystyle{\int}ds\frac{s^{3/2}}{(As^2+Bs+C)^{3/2}}\right]##

I haven't found any of these in the lists you sent me :/

fresh_42 said:
Yeah, it's still nasty. WolframAlpha spit out:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=int+(1/+root+(x^3+Ax^2+Bx))dx+=Seems there is no easy closed form, at least none of which could be converted into ##x= \ldots ##
Mathematica gives it with elliptic functions. I wonder how it found the solution to the original form without them... Always a mystery :/

I recently solved an integral ##I(a,b):=\displaystyle{\int} \dfrac{dx}{\sqrt{(a^2+x^2)(b^2+x^2)}}## with a split into substitutions ##t = x \pm f(x;a,b)## but that only gave me a recursion for ##I##.

fresh_42 said:
I recently solved an integral ##I(a,b):=\displaystyle{\int} \dfrac{dx}{\sqrt{(a^2+x^2)(b^2+x^2)}}## with a split into substitutions ##t = x \pm f(x;a,b)## but that only gave me a recursion for ##I##.
How do you obtain a recursion for an integral? :O

By a formula ##I(a,b)=I(f(a,b),g(a,b))## and then you can iterate ##f,g##.

Likes Robin04

1. How do you define an elliptic integral?

An elliptic integral is a mathematical function that involves the integration of algebraic expressions containing square roots of polynomials. It is typically expressed in terms of the complete elliptic integral of the first, second, or third kind.

2. What are some common techniques for solving elliptic integrals?

Some common techniques for solving elliptic integrals include substitution, trigonometric identities, and partial fraction decomposition. Additionally, the use of special functions such as the complete elliptic integrals can also aid in solving these types of integrals.

3. Can elliptic integrals be solved analytically?

Yes, elliptic integrals can be solved analytically using various techniques such as the ones mentioned above. However, in some cases, they may require the use of numerical methods for an accurate solution.

4. How are elliptic integrals used in real-life applications?

Elliptic integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used in the calculation of the arc length of an ellipse, the period of a pendulum, and the trajectory of a particle in a force field, among others.

5. Are there any tips for solving elliptic integrals more efficiently?

Some tips for solving elliptic integrals more efficiently include breaking down the integral into smaller, simpler parts, using trigonometric identities to simplify the expression, and being familiar with the properties of special functions such as the complete elliptic integrals. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of calculus and algebraic manipulation techniques.