[Integrals] Just can't quite finish this

• Thread starter Caldus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem where they need to find the right rieman sum and the integral of a function that goes from -x2/3 to 4 on the interval [0,4]. They use n subintervals and find that the sum of all sigma's from 1 to n is -7n*(-16/4n^3). The first sum is -64/9 and the second sum is 11/10.
Caldus
Hi,

I am trying to solve this problem:
Find the right rieman sum and the integral (using the definition of integral) of:
(-x^2/3)-7 on the interval [0,4] using n subintervals.

So:
lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of (-(4i/n)^2/3)-7]*4/n

= lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of (-4i^2/3n^2)-7]*4/n
= lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of i^2 - 7]*(-16/4n^3)
= lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of i^2] - 7n*(-16/4n^3)
= lim n->infinity of ((n(n + 1)(2n + 1))/6)-7n*(-16/4n^3)

I don't how to go any farther with this...

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have lots of techniques for working with limits. For instance, you can usually break lim (A + B) into lim A + lim B. You can combine your fractions into a single fraction, and use what you know about limits of rational functions. If you think the result looks unreasonable, you can check your algebra. Et cetera.

OK here we go:

= lim n->infinity of ((n(n + 1)(2n + 1))/6)-7n*(-16/4n^3)
= lim n->infinity of ((2n^3+3n^2+n)/6)+(112n/4n^3)
= lim n->infinity of ((2n^3+3n^2+673n)/24n^3)
= (1/12)+(1/8n)+(673/24n^2)
= 1/12

I know this is wrong though...

I had a hard time decyphering what you typed. It's a bit difficult to oversee.
Try using LaTeX. (Click on the equations to see how it is used.)
It's much more neat too. :wink:

Anyway, you have:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}f(x_i)\Delta x[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=-\frac{x^2}{3}-7[/tex]
[tex]x_i=\frac{4i}{n}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x=\frac{4}{n}[/tex]

So the sum is:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(-\frac{16i^2}{3n^2}-7\right)\frac{4}{n}=-\frac{64}{3n^3}\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^2-\frac{28}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}1[/tex]
Here I've just split the sum into two in the last step. (I think you got this right).

Now for the first sum, use the identity:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^2=\frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1)[/tex]
So that:
[tex]-\frac{64}{3n^3}\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^2=-\frac{64}{3n^3}\frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1)=-\frac{64}{18n^2}(2n^2+3n+1)[/tex]
Then take the limit [itex]n\rightarrow \infty[/itex]
The first sum becomes [itex]-\frac{64}{9}[/itex]

The second sum is easy.

Simple integration of the first term gives:
[tex]\int_0^4\frac{-x^2}{3}dx = \frac{-x^3}{9}|^4_0=-\frac{64}{9}[/tex]
Which matches the sum. :smile:

PS: I`m glad we got the old smilies back, the new ones looked silly.

Edit: Corrected a silly mistake

Last edited:
I know this is wrong though...

Your calculus seems correct: you just need to work on your algebra skills. I think it would pay off for you to dig out your old texts and review.

The big thing you're missing here is the distributive law: (a + b) c = a c + b c, which holds for sums also [itex]c \sum (a + b) = c \sum a + c \sum b[/itex].

In particular:

lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of (-4i^2/3n^2)-7]*4/n
= lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of i^2 - 7]*(-16/4n^3)

When you factor something out of a sum, you have to factor it out of every term, not just one of them.

lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of i^2 - 7]*(-16/4n^3)
= lim n->infinity of [sigma from i = 1 to n of i^2] - 7n*(-16/4n^3)

Conversely, when you expand, each term gets multiplied by the outside constant. Also, you can't just pull additive constants out of a sum. Remember that [itex]\sum (a + b) = \sum a + \sum b[/itex]

lim n->infinity of ((2n^3+3n^2+n)/6)+(112n/4n^3)
= lim n->infinity of ((2n^3+3n^2+673n)/24n^3)

And don't forget that when you add fractions that you have to set up a common denominator before you can simply add the numerators. 1/2 + 3/5 is not 4/10... it's 5/10 + 6/10 = 11/10

Thanks guys I eventually figured out the rest of it!

I have another simple algebra problem (doing another problem like this now). How do I isolate the variable i here?:

lim n->infinity 5/n*sigma i = 1 to n of [(25-(5i/n)^2)^(1/2)]

Thanks.

You don't. :frown:

To do this limit, I think you either need to do some estimation (and prove that the error goes to zero as n goes to infinity), or find some other way to evaluate the integral.

Ah I noticed it finally. The area under that curve is a quarter circle with radius 5! Wow I'm so dumb sometimes. I got it now. Thanks. :)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It can also be thought of as the process of finding the function that produced a given derivative.

2. Why is it important to understand integrals?

Integrals are used in many areas of science, particularly in physics and engineering, to solve problems involving continuous quantities. They are also a fundamental concept in calculus, which is necessary for understanding advanced mathematics and many scientific principles.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a numerical value, while indefinite integrals have no limits and give an entire family of functions.

4. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to understand the properties and rules of integrals, such as the power rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Why do some integrals seem impossible to solve?

Integrals can be difficult to solve because they involve complex mathematical concepts and require an understanding of various techniques and rules. In some cases, integrals may not have a closed-form solution and can only be solved numerically or approximated.