Why ignoring the contribution from point r=0 in eq (1) and (2)?

In summary: I think that is a distraction and I don't use it. In summary, the potential of a dipole distribution at a point ##P## is given by the formula ##\psi=-k \int_{V'} \dfrac{\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'}}{r}dV'+k \oint_{S'}\dfrac{\vec{M'}.\hat{n}}{r}dS'##. When ##P\in V'##, the integrand is discontinuous (infinite) at the point ##r=0##. This can be dealt with by using improper integrals and removing a small cavity ##\delta## from ##V'##. It should
Mike400
The potential of a dipole distribution at a point ##P## is:

##\psi=-k \int_{V'}
\dfrac{\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'}}{r}dV'
+k \oint_{S'}\dfrac{\vec{M'}.\hat{n}}{r}dS'##

If ##P\in V'##, the integrand is discontinuous (infinite) at the point ##r=0##. So we need to use improper integrals by removing a small cavity ##\delta## from ##V'##:

##\psi=k \left[ -\lim \limits_{\delta \to 0}
\int_{V'-\delta} \dfrac{\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'}}{r} dV'+
\lim \limits_{\delta \to 0}
\oint_{S'+\Delta} \dfrac{\vec{M'}.\hat{n}}{r}dS'
\right] \tag 1##

It must be noted that we ignored the contribution to the volume integral from the point ##r=0## (if there is any).

##\nabla\psi=k \left[ -\lim \limits_{\delta \to 0}
\int_{V'-\delta} (\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'})\ \nabla \left( \dfrac{1}{r} \right) dV'+
\oint_{S'} (\vec{M'}.\hat{n})\ \nabla \left( \dfrac{1}{r} \right)dS'
\right] \tag 2##

Here also, it must be noted that we ignored the contribution to the volume integral from the point ##r=0## (if there is any).

\begin{align}
\nabla^2 \psi&=k \left[ -\lim \limits_{\delta \to 0}
\int_{V'-\delta} (\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'})\ \nabla^2 \left( \dfrac{1}{r} \right) dV'+
\oint_{S'} (\vec{M'}.\hat{n})\ \nabla^2 \left( \dfrac{1}{r} \right)dS'
\right]\\
&\bbox[yellow]{-4\pi\ k\ (\vec{\nabla}.\vec{M'})}\\
&=-4\pi\ k\ (\vec{\nabla}.\vec{M'})\\ \tag 3
\end{align}

Here, it must be noted that we *did not* ignore the contribution to the volume integral from the point ##r=0##.

So why is it that we are ignoring the contribution to the volume integral from the point ##r=0## in equation ##(1)## and ##(2)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are doing here is computing a potential ## \psi ## so that ## -\nabla \psi=\vec{H} ## if there are no contributions to ## \vec{H} ## from currents in conductors. This is the "pole" method of magnetism. Both the pole method and the surface current method get the same answer for ## \vec{B} ##, and the pole method uses the equation ## \vec{B}=\mu_o \vec{H}+\vec{M} ##. (In some units they use ## \vec{B}=\mu_o \vec{H}+\mu_o \vec{M} ##).
The surface current method is presently taught more so than the pole method. For a simple introduction to both methods, see: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...a-ferromagnetic-cylinder.863066/#post-5433500
In spherical coordinates ## dV=r^2 \sin{\theta} \, d \theta \, d \phi ##. IMO, it is unnecessary to exclude the point at ## r=0 ##. The ## r^2 ## of ## dV ## in the numerator will remove any divergence from ## r=0 ## in the denominator.

Charles Link said:
In spherical coordinates ## dV=r^2 \sin{\theta} \, d \theta \, d \phi ##. IMO, it is unnecessary to exclude the point at ## r=0 ##. The ## r^2 ## of ## dV ## in the numerator will remove any divergence from ## r=0 ## in the denominator.

In equations ##(1)## and ##(2)##, your statement works fine in volume integrals.

For equation ##(1)##:

\begin{equation}
\dfrac{\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'}}{r} dV'
=\dfrac{\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'}}{r} r^2 \sinθ\ dθ\ dϕ\ dr\
\end{equation}

Now putting ##r=0##, our expression becomes:

\begin{equation}
(\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'}) \dfrac{0}{0}\ 0\ \sinθ\ dθ\ dϕ\ dr=\text{indeterminate times zero}=0
\end{equation}

That is, the contribution from ##r=0## is zero.

For equation ##(2)##:

\begin{equation}
(\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'})\ \nabla \left( \dfrac{1}{r} \right) dV'
=(\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'})\ \left( \dfrac{\hat{r}}{r^2} \right) r^2 \sinθ\ dθ\ dϕ\ dr\
\end{equation}

Now putting ##r=0##, our expression becomes:

\begin{equation}
(\vec{\nabla'}.\vec{M'}) (\hat{r}) \dfrac{0}{0}\ \dfrac{0}{0}\ \sinθ\ dθ\ dϕ\ dr=\text{indeterminate times infinitesimal}=0
\end{equation}

That is, the contribution from ##r=0## is zero.

Now what about the contributions from ##r=0## due to surface integrals? How can we show that they both are zero?

The surface integrals cover the outer boundary of the solid, and in general don't contain ## r=0 ##. If it does, that's why the prescription for ignoring ## r=0 ## may be useful.

Charles Link said:
The surface integrals cover the outer boundary of the solid, and in general don't contain ## r=0 ##. If it does, that's why the prescription for ignoring ## r=0 ## may be useful.
I get your point. By the way, is my interpretation correct i.e. are equations (5) and (7) mathematically valid. I have never seen such equations neither in mathematics nor physics texts. I should say that equations (5) and (7) are expressions of my intuition.

Mike400 said:
I get your point. By the way, is my interpretation correct i.e. are equations (5) and (7) mathematically valid. I have never seen such equations neither in mathematics nor physics texts. I should say that equations (5) and (7) are expressions of my intuition.
When you have ## \frac{r}{r} ##, it equals ##1 ##, regardless of whether ## r=0 ## or not. It is not indeterminant.
Meanwhile, so long as ## \nabla \cdot M ## remains finite, the contribution at ## r=0 ## to ##\int \nabla \cdot M \sin{\theta} \, d \theta d\phi \, dr ## remains infinitesimal at ## r=0 ## and you don't need to exclude ## r=0 ## in the integral.
Your prescription says take ## \int\limits_{0^+}^{+\infty} ##, but I don't think it is necessary to have ## r=0^+ ## with a ##+ ## on the zero of the lower limit of ## r ##.

What does ignoring the contribution from point r=0 mean?

Ignoring the contribution from point r=0 means not taking into account the effects or values at the origin point in equations (1) and (2).

Why is it necessary to ignore the contribution from point r=0?

In some cases, the contribution from point r=0 may be negligible or insignificant in the overall calculation or analysis. Ignoring this contribution can simplify the equations and make them easier to solve or interpret.

What are the potential consequences of ignoring the contribution from point r=0?

The consequences of ignoring the contribution from point r=0 depend on the specific context and application of equations (1) and (2). In some cases, it may lead to inaccuracies or errors in the results, while in others it may not significantly affect the overall outcome.

Are there any situations where ignoring the contribution from point r=0 is not recommended?

Yes, there may be situations where the contribution from point r=0 is significant and cannot be ignored. In such cases, it is important to consider the effects of this contribution in the equations to ensure accurate results.

How can one determine whether or not to ignore the contribution from point r=0?

The decision to ignore the contribution from point r=0 should be based on the specific context and application of equations (1) and (2). It is important to carefully consider the significance of this contribution and its potential impact on the overall results before making a decision.