1st order transfer function from data

In summary, the speaker is trying to model an RF attenuator for use in a control system and has successfully modeled it as a first order system. However, they are unsure of how to represent the DC gain component in the numerator and are seeking advice on normalizing it to a unit step function for analysis and design of the control loop. They are advised to measure the ratio of the steady-state output to a constant input in order to determine the DC gain.
havanna1
Hello,

Im trying to model an RF attenuator for use in a control system. The control voltage is from 0-2.1V and I
applied a step function signal from 0-2.1V and measured the output. I was able to model it as a first
order system in the form Kdc / Xs + 1.

The issue I'm having is understanding how to represent the DC gain component in the numerator. I understand
that the DC gain is the value that the output settles at, but I feel like I need to normalize it to
a unit step function rather than a 2.1V step.

I input 0dBm of RF power and step the control voltage from 0-2.1V and the output swings from -27.6dBm to
-1.4dBm. How would the DC gain be normalized to a unit step function input for analysis and design of
the control loop.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
havanna1 said:
I understand that the DC gain is the value that the output settles at, but I feel like I need to normalize it to a unit step function rather than a 2.1V step.

That's only true for a unit step response. In general, its DC gain is the steady-state gain to a constant input (if your system has a steady state), i.e. css = KDC*r ⇔ KDC = css/r, where css is the steady-state output and r is the constant input.

In short, measure the ratio of the steady-state output to the constant input.

1. What is a 1st order transfer function?

A 1st order transfer function is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between an input variable and an output variable in a system. It is commonly used in control systems and signal processing to understand and control the behavior of a system.

2. How is a 1st order transfer function derived from data?

A 1st order transfer function can be derived from data by analyzing the input and output data of a system and fitting a curve to the data points. This curve represents the transfer function and can be used to make predictions and control the system.

3. What are the key components of a 1st order transfer function?

The key components of a 1st order transfer function are the time constant (represented by the symbol τ), which determines the speed of response of the system, and the gain (represented by the symbol K), which determines the amplification or attenuation of the input signal.

4. How can a 1st order transfer function be used to improve system performance?

A 1st order transfer function can be used to improve system performance by analyzing the response of the system to different inputs and adjusting the time constant and gain values to optimize the system's behavior. This can lead to faster response times, reduced steady-state error, and improved stability.

5. Can a 1st order transfer function accurately model all systems?

No, a 1st order transfer function may not accurately model all systems as it assumes a linear relationship between the input and output variables. However, it can provide a good approximation for many systems and is a useful starting point for understanding and controlling system behavior.