Control block diagram's transfer function

In summary, the conversation is about designing a control system for a project and deriving the transfer function of the entire system. The project chosen is a traffic light, and the speaker is trying to understand how the light bulbs of the traffic light will change. The suggested solution is to draw a state diagram and the speaker is also advised to provide the problem statement/assignment for a better understanding.
Hackhol
Homework Statement
I'm designing an open loop 3 way traffic light system. I'm having hard time in deriving the transfer function of the controller or let's I don't even know how to derive it
Relevant Equations
S
The ac signal is converted to DC signal which is connected to a capacitor to filter the DC signal. The filter DC signal is step down for 12volt to 5 volt using a voltage regulator. The regulated DC signal is connected to a crystal oscillator that converts the DC signal to a square wave signal that is connected to the Analog input of the MCU@mega3208p. The MCU the digital output is connected to the LED bulbs .But I don't really even know how to get the
IMG20210730074744.jpg
IMG_20210730_084219.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so you have a microprocessor with a power supply and a clock, right? That's every uP ever made, BTW. You have also said you have some LEDs as outputs. What you don't have is any description of the inputs to your system or what that system is supposed to do (something about traffic lights, I guess). Good questions get better answers. Honestly I don't know how to respond... yet. Try again.

DaveE said:
OK, so you have a microprocessor with a power supply and a clock, right? That's every uP ever made, BTW. You have also said you have some LEDs as outputs. What you don't have is any description of the inputs to your system or what that system is supposed to do (something about traffic lights, I guess). Good questions get better answers. Honestly I don't know how to respond... yet. Try again.
Yes. . my main problem is how I will get the equation of the traffic light and the transfer function that will covert the input DC signal to traffic light signal

That "equation" will come from the question asked in your homework assignment. OTOH, if you are free to choose, just set all of the lights to flashing red all of the time.

Hackhol said:
Yes. . my main problem is how I will get the equation of the traffic light and the transfer function that will covert the input DC signal to traffic light signal
Honestly, this makes no sense. Transfer functions generally refer to Linear Time Invariant systems, and neither the input power supply nor the uP are LTI systems.

For the traffic light control system, you need to draw a State Diagram to implement it. Have you learned about State Diagrams yet in your studies?

And I agree that it would help a lot if you could write out the problem statement/assignment word-for-word. It makes no sense as stated so far. Thanks.

1627651004530.png

https://cacoo.com/blog/a-simple-guide-to-drawing-your-first-state-diagram-with-examples/

Likes FactChecker
You are trying to design a "bang-bang" control system, where the light is either on or off, depending on whether certain conditions are exceeded. IMO, a transfer function is not very useful in designing that type of system. It is very non-linear and not even continuous.

Likes berkeman
DaveE said:

berkeman said:
Honestly, this makes no sense. Transfer functions generally refer to Linear Time Invariant systems, and neither the input power supply nor the uP are LTI systems.

For the traffic light control system, you need to draw a State Diagram to implement it. Have you learned about State Diagrams yet in your studies?

And I agree that it would help a lot if you could write out the problem statement/assignment word-for-word. It makes no sense as stated so far. Thanks.

View attachment 286883
https://cacoo.com/blog/a-simple-guide-to-drawing-your-first-state-diagram-with-examples/
Thanks I will check it ...but we haven't been about it.
Our assignment was that's we should design a project relating to control system and write the mathematical model of the project. And design the control system where we will derive the transfer function of the entire system. Which will use to draw the bode plot, locus plot, polar plot, well we check for the stability of the system and damping factor and the rest...so I choose traffic light thinking it be easy since it's easy to design physical and my lecture has already agreed...
But currently I'm trying to get something like the internal controller equation explaining how the light bulb of the traffic light is changing

Hackhol said:
Thanks I will check it ...but we haven't been about it.
Our assignment was that's we should design a project relating to control system and write the mathematical model of the project. And design the control system where we will derive the transfer function of the entire system. Which will use to draw the bode plot, locus plot, polar plot, well we check for the stability of the system and damping factor and the rest...so I choose traffic light thinking it be easy since it's easy to design physical and my lecture has already agreed...
But currently I'm trying to get something like the internal controller equation explaining how the light bulb of the traffic light is changing
Those analysis tools are much more suitable for linear analog systems; i.e. not digital, like lights turning on or off. Analog systems are things like cruise control on your car, where the inputs and outputs are continuous variables that can make small changes. You can have digital controls for analog systems but they will mostly all use several bits to express inputs and outputs as an approximation of continuous variables.

So, I think you probably need to think of a more continuous variable to control. Like the temperature of an oven, the brightness of a lamp, the volume of a radio, the rate of water flowing from a hose, etc.

Likes berkeman
DaveE said:
Those analysis tools are much more suitable for linear analog systems; i.e. not digital, like lights turning on or off.
A better description of the systems would be "linear continuous" versus "discontinuous, 'bang-bang'" systems. A lot of the analog control systems are now implemented with digital control devices.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a control block diagram's transfer function?

A control block diagram's transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a control system. It describes how the input signal is transformed into the output signal by the system.

2. How is the transfer function of a control block diagram determined?

The transfer function of a control block diagram is determined by taking the Laplace transform of the differential equations that describe the system. This results in a transfer function that is a ratio of polynomials in the Laplace variable s.

3. What information can be obtained from a control block diagram's transfer function?

A control block diagram's transfer function can provide information about the stability, frequency response, and overall behavior of the control system. It can also be used to analyze the system's performance and design controllers to achieve desired system behavior.

4. Can a control block diagram's transfer function be modified?

Yes, a control block diagram's transfer function can be modified by adding or removing blocks in the diagram, or by changing the parameters of the existing blocks. This can be done to improve the performance of the control system or to achieve specific control objectives.

5. Are there any limitations to using a control block diagram's transfer function?

One limitation of using a control block diagram's transfer function is that it assumes a linear and time-invariant system. This may not always be the case in real-world systems, and in such cases, more complex mathematical models may be needed to accurately represent the system's behavior.