Control Theory - Nyquist Plot - Speed of Response from Low Frequency Asymptote

In summary, the location of the low frequency asymptote on the Nyquist plot affects the stability and speed of response of the system, with a low frequency response to the right of the M = 1 line leading to a slower response due to reduced phase margin.
Master1022
[Moderator: moved from a homework forum. This does not sound like homework.]Homework Statement:: Why is it the case that when the low-frequency response is to the right of the M = 1 line that the 'speed of response is slow'?
Relevant Equations:: M-cirlces

Hi,

Hope you are doing well and staying safe.

I just wanted to ask a quick conceptual question within the topic of M-circles in Control Theory. We have been told that one can get qualitative (as well as quantitative) information about the closed loop response of a transfer function from its open loop nyquist plot. Moreover, we have been told that when the low frequency asymptote of our open loop response lies to the right of the M = 1 lines ([itex] x = -0.5 [/itex]) that this will lead to a slower closed loop response. Subsequently, we can speed up the response by shifting this low frequency asymptote closer to the M = 1 line. I wanted to know why that is the case?

I have tried to reason about what the location of the low frequency asymptote means beyond the DC gain. Does it have to do with the fact that it might take longer for a Nyquist plot to decrease to 0 if it is approaching from far away? I don't know if that is a rigorous reason as I am sure we can construct a function that has a high DC gain whilst still approaching the origin (on the Nyquist plot) quickly.

I believe this should be a simple question, but I haven't been able to figure it out conceptually.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks!The reason for the slow speed of response when the low-frequency response is to the right of the M = 1 line is that the phase margin of the system is reduced. The phase margin is a measure of the stability of the system and is defined as the difference between the phase of the open loop transfer function at the frequency where the magnitude response is equal to 1 (M=1). If the phase is greater than -180° at this frequency, then the system is considered stable. When the low-frequency response is to the right of the M = 1 line, the phase margin is reduced and thus the system is less stable and has a slower speed of response.

1. What is Control Theory?

Control Theory is a branch of engineering and mathematics that deals with the analysis and design of systems with desired behaviors. It involves understanding how systems work, modeling them mathematically, and using that knowledge to design controllers to achieve desired performance.

2. What is a Nyquist Plot?

A Nyquist Plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It is a plot of the complex values of the system's transfer function as the frequency varies from zero to infinity. It is often used in control theory to analyze the stability and performance of a system.

3. How is the Speed of Response determined from the Low Frequency Asymptote on a Nyquist Plot?

The Speed of Response can be determined from the Low Frequency Asymptote on a Nyquist Plot by finding the point where the asymptote intersects the -180 degree phase line. The distance from this point to the origin is equal to the time delay of the system, which is a measure of its speed of response.

4. What does the Low Frequency Asymptote represent on a Nyquist Plot?

The Low Frequency Asymptote on a Nyquist Plot represents the steady-state gain of the system. It indicates the amount of amplification or attenuation that occurs at very low frequencies, where the system's response is essentially constant.

5. How is the Speed of Response related to the Stability of a system on a Nyquist Plot?

The Speed of Response is related to the Stability of a system on a Nyquist Plot in the sense that a faster speed of response generally indicates a more stable system. This is because a faster response means the system can quickly correct for any disturbances or changes in the input, which is a key characteristic of a stable system.