A proof involving Greatest common divisors

• Thread starter zoner7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if b>0 and a=bq + r, then (a,b) = (b,r). The Euclidean Algorithm and the concept of greatest common divisor (GCD) are mentioned. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problem and requests for help. Ultimately, the speaker admits they do not understand the concepts and decides to give up on attempting the problem.
zoner7

Homework Statement

If b>0 and a=bq + r, prove that (a,b) = (b,r)

I made an attempt... it didnt really go anywhere.

I think I can say that (a,b) = am + bn and (b,r) = bp + rq.
maybe...
a = bq + r
b = rp + s
You can see that I have absolutely no idea how to solve this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It follows from the Euclidean Algorithm; Consider if c divides a and b, then let a=cs and b=ct with s,t being integers. Then

[tex]r=a-bq=cs-(ct)q=c(s-tq) \Rightarrow c | r [/tex]

And therefore c also divides b and r. Can you think of how the rest should go?

jeffreydk said:
It follows from the Euclidean Algorithm; Consider if c divides a and b, then let a=cs and b=ct with s,t being integers. Then

[tex]r=a-bq=cs-(ct)q=c(s-tq) \Rightarrow c | r [/tex]

And therefore c also divides b and r. Can you think of how the rest should go?

well... I didn't accomplish too much. What exactly is my final goal supposed to be? What should I be showing next?

I tried to say
r = bq + w
w = r-bp
w = r - ctp
w c(s - tq) - ctq
w = c(s - t(q - p))

and then i decided that I wasn't really doing anything correctly and examined the equation
r - r = bq
q - c(s - tq) = bq
a = cs - ctq = bq
cs - cs - ctq = bq
bq = bq...
Clearly this is wrong...

So what am I trying to accomplish in the end?

Now you have c|a and c|b. you get c|r from jeffreydk's hint.
Then you have c|b and c|r, which implies c|gcd(b,r), which means c is a common divisor of b and r.
if c=gcd(a,b), you are supposed to show c is actually the GREATEST common divisor of b and r

here's another way, gcd(a,b)|gcd(b,r) and gcd(b,r)|gcd(a,b) will imply they are equal. I think you have already got gcd(a,b)|gcd(b,r), you can prove gcd(b,r)|gcd(a,b) in a similar way.

boombaby said:
Now you have c|a and c|b. you get c|r from jeffreydk's hint.
Then you have c|b and c|r, which implies c|gcd(b,r), which means c is a common divisor of b and r.
if c=gcd(a,b), you are supposed to show c is actually the GREATEST common divisor of b and r

here's another way, gcd(a,b)|gcd(b,r) and gcd(b,r)|gcd(a,b) will imply they are equal. I think you have already got gcd(a,b)|gcd(b,r), you can prove gcd(b,r)|gcd(a,b) in a similar way.

alright. that makes sense based on the proof of a GCD. Thank you. I probably got it from here.

well... I think I am dropping this class. its simply not making sense, and this is supposed to be one of the easier problems

I said
let r = cp
b = rq + w
w = b - rq
w = ct - cpq
w = c(t - pq)
implies c divides w

but I don't think this implies c divided (a,b)...

anyone know some good resources where I can get some help?

foget about b=rq+w, focus on a=bx+r. Now a=c*something+c*something...can you get it now?

Also you would notice that,
1,a=bq+r. if c|a and c|b, you proved that c|r
now look at this one
2,b=rp+w. you have c|b and c|r, you proved that c|w
See? you are doing exactly the same thing two times.

Well, I just tried it, wrote everything out and then realized that I made the same error that i did last time.

I guess I'm not really sure how to set the problems up in the first place. Clearly I don't understand something quite integral to the topic at hand.

What exactly am I saying when i write a = bx + r and a = bq+ r? Why is r the same for both of them? Why isn't a separate value required?

im calling it quits on this one... i can't figure it out.
I just don't understand the concepts at hand. Until I learn them, attempting this is futile.

1. What is a greatest common divisor (GCD)?

A greatest common divisor (GCD) is the largest positive integer that divides evenly into two or more given integers. In other words, it is the largest number that is a factor of all the given numbers.

2. How do you find the GCD of two or more numbers?

There are several methods for finding the GCD of two or more numbers, including prime factorization, the Euclidean algorithm, and using a GCD calculator. These methods involve identifying the common factors or prime factors of the given numbers and then finding the largest common factor.

3. Why is the GCD important in mathematics?

The GCD is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept in number theory and has many applications in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and engineering. It is also used in simplifying fractions and finding equivalent fractions.

4. Can the GCD of two numbers be greater than both numbers?

No, the GCD of two numbers cannot be greater than both numbers. The GCD is always a factor of both numbers, so it cannot be larger than either of them. For example, the GCD of 12 and 18 is 6, which is a factor of 12 and 18.

5. How is the GCD related to the concept of coprime numbers?

Two numbers are coprime if their GCD is 1, meaning they have no common factors other than 1. This is important in number theory because it helps determine whether two numbers share any common properties or if they are relatively prime. For example, all prime numbers are coprime to each other since their only common factor is 1.