Calculating Charge and Force of Attraction for Two Charged Coins on a Lab Table

• Thread starter Blink691
  • Start date
You should know the answer.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the charge on two coins placed 1.35 m apart on a lab table, given that each coin experiences a force of 2.0 N due to the presence of the other coin. The calculation involves using Coulomb's law and rearranging the equation to solve for the charge. The force between the two coins is classified as a force of attraction because they have like charges.
Blink691
I did this problem, yet I found out that its wrong because I didn't plug the correct force in. I have no idea what to do now though. If someone can show me what I did wrong and explain it, I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you!

Two coins with identical charges are placed on a lab table 1.35 m apart.

A.If each coin experiences a force of 2.0 N because of the presence of the other coin, calculate the charge on each coin.

FE=KE (q1q2/r^2)
R^2 = 1.35m
q1q2 = 2.0N
FE=KE (2.0N*2.0N)/(1.35^2m)
FE=2.194 or 2.195 A

B.Would the force be classified as a force of attraction or repulsion? Explain your answer.

Force of attraction because it represents a weight.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question requires a direct application of Coloumb's law (and the assumption that the two coins are like point charges).

Why have you used q1q2 as 2.0N*2.0N? 2 N is the force which each coin experiences, not the charge.

From the information given in the question, you know the values of [itex] F , r [/itex] and that the fact that the two charges are identical. All you need to find is the charge.

Finally, why would the weight decide if the force is attractive or repulsive?
You should know that it is the nature of the charges(ie, like or unlike).

Blink691 said:
A.If each coin experiences a force of 2.0 N because of the presence of the other coin, calculate the charge on each coin.

FE=KE (q1q2/r^2)
R^2 = 1.35m
q1q2 = 2.0N
FE=KE (2.0N*2.0N)/(1.35^2m)
FE=2.194 or 2.195 A
(1) 2.0 N is the force, not the charge! The charge is what you are trying to find.
(2) What happened to the constant Ke? (Look it up.)
Start with Coulomb's law:
[tex]F = k q^2/r^2[/tex]
Rearrange that equation to solve for q in terms of F, k, and r (which are all given or known).

B.Would the force be classified as a force of attraction or repulsion? Explain your answer.

Force of attraction because it represents a weight.
This force has nothing to do with weight (weight is due to mass, not charge). Do like charges attract or repel?

What is the best approach to solving a problem?

The best approach to solving a problem depends on the nature of the problem itself. However, some common steps include identifying the problem, gathering information, brainstorming possible solutions, evaluating the potential solutions, and implementing the chosen solution.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve problem-solving skills, including practicing with different types of problems, seeking feedback, learning from mistakes, and staying open-minded and curious about new ideas and approaches.

What are some common obstacles to problem-solving?

Some common obstacles to problem-solving include lack of information, biases and assumptions, fear of failure, and being too focused on finding a perfect solution.

When should I ask for help with a problem?

It is important to recognize when you need help with a problem. If you have tried multiple approaches and are still struggling to find a solution, or if the problem is complex and requires expertise in a specific area, it may be beneficial to seek assistance from someone who has knowledge and experience with similar problems.

How can I effectively communicate a problem to others?

When communicating a problem to others, it is important to clearly explain the issue and provide any relevant background information. Use specific examples and avoid making assumptions. It can also be helpful to listen to feedback and ask for clarification if needed.