Attractive force between a charge q and neutral conducting sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss' law to calculate the force of attraction between a point charge and a neutral conducting sphere with a known potential. It is mentioned that the total induced charge on the sphere is equal to the sum of the image charges, and that the uniqueness theorem can be used to show that the electric field on the sphere is the same for both the given and image problems.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-8-2_17-54-17.png

I uploaded the Ex. 3.2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On the spherical surface, the potential due to q'' at center is going to be constant.
q''= V0 R\kLet's say that the potential of the neutral conducting sphere is V0.

Now, to calculate the force of attraction, I have to calculate potential due to both the image charges and the original charge in the region outside the sphere.
For this I have to calculate q''. q'' is opposite to the charges induced on the sphere due to q.
To calculate this induced charge, I have to differentiate V given in eqn. 3.17 wrt r, which will give the surface charge density (integrating which over the spherical surface will give the induced charge).
Is there any other easier way to calculate this induced charge?

upload_2017-8-2_18-32-41.png

Attachments

• ed 3.8.pdf
    223 KB · Views: 780
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for q'' looks correct for making the sphere have a potential V0.

You can use Gauss' law to relate the net induced charge on the sphere to the values of the image charges q' and q''. This is much easier than working with the derivative of V(r). But for the case of a neutral sphere, you already know the value of the net induced charge.

For finding the force, it might be easier to work with the Coulomb forces of the charges q, q', and q'' rather than working with V(r).

Last edited:
upload_2017-8-4_15-39-51.png

What we know here is potential on the spherical surface is constant.

For applying Gauss’ theorem, if I take this spherical surface as the Gaussian surface, then what I know is the electric field on this surface is in radial direction.

But this doesn’t make the flux 0. And hence I can’t take the enclosed charge to be zero. So, how does the Gauss’ theorem help here?

Gauss' law is useful in showing that the total induced charge on the surface of the sphere is the same as the sum of the image charges q' and q''.

Thus, for the neutral sphere, you must have q'' = - q', as you stated.

Of course, this doesn't tell you how the induced surface charge density σ varies over the surface of the neutral sphere. But to answer the question about the force of attraction between Q and the sphere, you don't need σ (or V0 ). You can just work with the point charges Q, q', and q''.

Likes Pushoam
O.K. Now I understood.
I have to apply Gauss' theorem in both problems.
Given problem,
##\int_S \vec E_{con} ⋅d \vec a = \frac {Q_{en} =0} {ε_0} =0##
Image problem
##\int_S \vec E_{img} ⋅d \vec a = \frac {Q_{en} =q' +q"} {ε_0} ##

Now, uniqueness theorem says that
## \vec E_{con} = \vec E_{img}
##
Hence, ## q' +q" =0##

Yes. I think that's a good argument.

Likes Pushoam

1. What is the attractive force between a charge q and a neutral conducting sphere?

The attractive force between a charge q and a neutral conducting sphere is given by Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between the charge q and the neutral conducting sphere affect the attractive force?

The attractive force between the charge q and the neutral conducting sphere is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of the attractive force between the two?

The magnitude of the attractive force between the charge q and the neutral conducting sphere is influenced by the magnitude of the charge q, the magnitude of the charge on the sphere, and the distance between them. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the medium between them.

4. Can the attractive force between a charge q and a neutral conducting sphere be repulsive?

No, the attractive force between a charge q and a neutral conducting sphere is always attractive. This is because the charge on the sphere is induced by the presence of the charge q, making the two opposite charges attract each other.

5. How does the presence of other charges affect the attractive force between a charge q and a neutral conducting sphere?

The presence of other charges can affect the attractive force between a charge q and a neutral conducting sphere. If there are other charges present in the vicinity, they can influence the electric field and hence, the force between the two. However, the attractive force between the q charge and the sphere will still follow Coulomb's law as long as the charges are static.