Book Recommendations for Calculus & Algebra for Economics Students

In summary, the speaker is asking for recommendations for books in Calculus and Algebra as they feel their Mathematics skills are lacking. They are studying Economics and plan to study Finance and Accounting next year. They are looking for books that start from the basics and have listed some options they found on Amazon. One person suggests using an older edition of Stewart's Calculus with a solutions manual, while another recommends (Advanced) Modern Engineering Mathematics by Glyn James.
1+1=3
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some good books in Calculus and Algebra. My Mathematics is poor in my opinion and i feel i need to study it more. I am studying Economics, and plan to study Finance and Accounting next year. I am looking for books that start from the basics and don't assume prior mathematical knowledge.

I have found the following books on Amazon, has anyone used these books?

Harshbarger-Mathematical Applications for the Management
Lial-Mathematics with Applications
Stewart-Calculus (5th Ed)
Lay-Linear Algebra and its Applications
Anton-Elementary Linear Algebra Applications
Hughes-Hallett-Calculus, Single & Multivariable (4th Ed)

Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the older editions of stewarts book along with a solutions manual should suffice for Calculus. Goodluck.

I like (Advanced) Modern Engineering Mathematics by Glyn James.

FAQ: Book Recommendations for Calculus & Algebra for Economics Students

1. What are some good books for learning Calculus and Algebra for economics?

Some recommended books for learning Calculus and Algebra for economics students are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, and "Mathematics for Economists" by Simon and Blume.

2. Are there any books specifically tailored for economics students?

Yes, there are several books specifically designed for economics students such as "Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis" by Knut Sydsaeter and Peter Hammond, and "Mathematics for Economics and Business" by Ian Jacques.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both Calculus and Algebra?

One book that covers both Calculus and Algebra is "Mathematics for Economics" by Michael Hoy, John Livernois, Chris McKenna, and Ray Rees. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the mathematical concepts needed for economics.

4. Are there any online resources for learning Calculus and Algebra for economics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Calculus and Algebra for economics students. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These websites offer free lectures, practice problems, and quizzes to help students learn these subjects.

5. What are some tips for choosing the right book for learning Calculus and Algebra?

When choosing a book for learning Calculus and Algebra, it is important to consider your learning style, the level of difficulty, and the specific topics covered. It can also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other students. Additionally, make sure the book aligns with the curriculum of your economics course.