Emergency, : formatting SATA hard drive

• Thread starter SynapticSelf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Hard
In summary, the speaker needed to format their SATA hard drive, but the only person with a SATA system was their boss. They were given permission to use their boss's computer, but when they swapped their boss's hard drive with their own, it was not recognized and they received a boot disk failure message. They did not make any changes in the BIOS, but were eventually able to fix the issue and save their job. They speculate that the issue may have been caused by their boss's computer expecting a different size hard drive.
SynapticSelf
I have a SATA hard drive that I need to format, but the only person I know with a SATA system is my boss...so when he left today, I opened his computer. He has two SATA hard drives, and I unplugged one and connected mine. It didn't recognize the new disk, and plugged his back in. Although I have entered BIOS, I made no changes...but now I get BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER...all of the plugs are exactly as they were before the "intrusion" (I did have his permission, so long as everything worked in the morning.) If I don't get this figured out now, I may be fired. Ok, I will be fired. Please help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Never, mind...I fixed it. I'm wiping sweat from my brow as I type this, but I think my job is secure...but that still leaves the question: why wasn't my SATA drive recognized by his system. The settings in BIOS seemed to imply that the computer was expecting a 160 gig hard drive - the one I disconnected. Mine is a 120 gig. I think I'll have to study a little bit before I attempt this again.

Sounds like you were really worried there. Did you perhaps unplug his boot drive? Did you need to select which drive would be the boot drive after you swapped the drives?

What is emergency formatting of a SATA hard drive?

Emergency formatting of a SATA hard drive refers to the process of quickly erasing all data on the hard drive and preparing it for use, in situations where the hard drive is not functioning properly or is causing system issues.

Why would I need to perform an emergency format on my SATA hard drive?

There are a few reasons why you might need to perform an emergency format on your SATA hard drive. These include: if the hard drive is failing and causing system issues, if the hard drive is infected with a virus or malware, or if the hard drive has corrupted data that cannot be fixed through other means.

Will an emergency format erase all of my data?

Yes, an emergency format will erase all data on the SATA hard drive. It is important to back up any important data before performing an emergency format.

How do I perform an emergency format on a SATA hard drive?

The specific steps for performing an emergency format may vary depending on your operating system and computer setup. However, in general, you can access the "Disk Management" tool in your computer's settings and select the SATA hard drive to be formatted. Follow the prompts to complete the process.

Is there a way to recover data after an emergency format?

In most cases, data cannot be recovered after an emergency format. It is important to back up any important data before performing an emergency format. However, there are some data recovery services that may be able to retrieve some data, but they are not guaranteed to be successful.